Car Rentals

 Car Rentals Glasgow

Discount Car Rentals in Glasgow

Alamo Car Rentals Glasgow

Get the BEST discount and help for you and your family from Alamo Rental Cars the next time you visit Glasgow.  Alamo will get you the best deals in the car rental business.  Go to our new web site at Alamo.com and take advantage of the new deals.
Alamo Cheap Locations
Alamo discounts 

Glasgow Prestwick Apt. Alamo Car Rentals
 Prestwick, Ayrshire, KA9 2PL

Alamo Rental Cars Glasgow Apt. - St. Andrews Dr.
Glasgow Alamo Car Rental - 76 Lancefield Quay

Things to do in Glasgow

  • The Burrell Collection Burrell Collection Glasgow, Scotland
    The Burrell Collection is a magnificent collection of artworks inside a marvelous museum building sitting in the Pollok Country Park in Glasgow, Scotland. This spectacular collection was acquired over numerous years by Sir William Burrell, a rich industrialist, art collector and ship owner, who donated it to the city in 1944. The donation was given on the condition that it would be located 16 miles from the heart of the city, to avoid the terrible effects of air pollution that was bad at that time and to showcase the works to their best advantage. The trustees would take almost two decades finding the right home for the massive collection without having much luck. In 1967, the Pollok estate was donated to the city, and the trustees had some of the terms waived, and the museum would be only three miles from the center of Glasgow and within city limits. They then held a competition for the design of the new museum building in 1971, but had to wait a while with the postal strike occurring at the time; but finally the winning architect was chosen, Barry Gasson and Brit Andresen. The structure would be an L shaped building, designed specifically to house the great collection with some elements of the collection, the Romanesque doorways were constructed into the building; with expansive and lovely views of the grassy lawns and forests surrounding the estate. The entrance is a splendid 16th century stone archway that is constructed right into the modern red sandstone gable leads and various facilities to a central courtyard that lies under the glazed roof and next to the reconstructions of three rooms that were taken from Burrell's home from 1927, Hutton Castle by Berwick-on-Tweed; which included the dining room and all of its furnishings, the wood paneled drawing room and the hall. There are two galleries on two different levels that contain the many artifacts and sits above a basement storage level and a lower level restaurant that also offers views to the lawn to the south. In 1983, the Queen dedicated the museum and was called Scotland's second greatest post-war building in a poll of architects in 2005.  The Burrell houses a prominent collection of medieval art that includes; tapestries, oak furniture, stained glass, medieval weapons and armor, artifacts from ancient China and Egypt, Islamic art, modern sculpture, impressionist works by Cezanne and Degas, plus many other relics from around the globe and these were all collected by one person.

  • Glasgow CathedralGlasgow Cathedral Glasgow, Scotland
    The Glasgow Cathedral is also known as the High Kirk of Glasgow or St. Mungo's or St. Kentigern's Cathedral and has become a Church of Scotland in Glasgow, Scotland. The cathedral title is historic and honorific since it is no longer part of the Roman Catholic diocese, but, rather a Presbytery of Glasgow and is near the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The history of this magnificent church is linked with those of the city, and is believed to be the location where the patron saint of the city, Saint Mungo, constructed his church. His tomb is located in the lower crypt, and Sir Walter Scott's Rob Roy, (1817 chapter XX) gives an excellent accounting of the Kirk. The church was constructed before the Reformation and was the seat of the Bishop and later on, the Archbishop of Glasgow, and is one of the finest examples of Scottish gothic architecture in the country. It is one of the few Scottish medieval churches, and the only surviving medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland, that managed to survive through the Reformation unroofed. The rood screen is another quite rare survivor in the Scottish churches. Officially, the structure isn't a cathedral, since it hasn't belonged to the Roman Catholic diocese since 1690, but like the other pre-Reformation cathedrals in the nation, it is still a place of active Christian worship, only hosting a Church of Scotland congregation. The church is owned by the nation, and is maintained by Historic Scotland and has become a very popular attraction for tourists. The University of Glasgow started having their classes in the cathedral in 1451, under the leadership of William Turnbull, the Bishop of Glasgow from 1448 to 1454 and was the main principle in the creation of the university. The Bishops of Glasgow would also serve as the Chancellors of the University for about two centuries, until the Civil War. The university left the cathedral in 1460, into a site next door, before moving to its permanent location on Gilmorehill in 1870.

Budget rent a car Glasgow

Budget Rent-A-Car  is one of the best rental car businesses in the industry.  Budget has the best customer service that are friendly and courteous.  Budget will get you the BEST savings and discounts in the world so visit our web site today and SAVE.
Budget Discounts and Savings



Glasgow Intl. Apt. Budget Car Rentals
 Domestic Arrivals Hall
 
Budget Car Rental Glasgow - West St. Trading Estate
Budget Rental Cars Central Rail Station
- Gordon St.

  • Glasgow School of ArtGlasgow School of Art Glasgow, Scotland
    The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) is just one of the two independent schools of art in Glasgow, Scotland and started in 1845 as the Glasgow Government School of Design, one of the first. The school was renamed in 1853 to the Glasgow School of Art and was located at Ingram Street but moved in 1869 to the McLellan Galleries, and in 1897, began building a new school houses on Renfrew Street. The structure was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the first half finished in 1899 and the remainder in 1909 and has continued to grow, with a competition held in 2009 for the best design of a new campus. The school has produced the majority of the country's leading contemporary artists and departments include; silversmithing and jewelry, painting and printmaking, fine art photography, sculpture and environmental art, interior design, product design, visual communication and architecture, textiles and product design engineering. The school of architecture was named after the GSA's most famous alumni, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and very well thought of by the architectural community. In the beginning of the school of arts, Mackintosh would produce one of his finest and purest works; called Queen's Cross Church, in Maryhill, Glasgow and is considered a hidden gem, but also one of the artist's most mysterious works that was constructed between 1897 and 1899. The school presently sits in a compact campus, which means it is spread throughout 10 structures, in the heart of the city, north of Sauchiehall Street except for the digital design studio that is located in Pacific Quay. The Mackintosh, or Mac is the nucleus of the campus and is still very much one of the main functioning departments in the school and houses the fine art painting department, first year studios and admin staff and the interior design department. It contains the Mackintosh gallery as well which host many various exhibitions during the year. The gallery is the only part of the Mac that is open to the public, but the rest of the building can be seen by guided tour. There is one exception to the rule, and that is at the end of the school year, when the graduating classes showcase their final artworks and people are allowed to go all through the building. Right across from the Mac, are the Newbery Tower, Assembly Building and the Foulis Building. The Newbury has the refectory cafeteria, the jewelry and silversmithing departments and the textiles department; with the Foulis containing the center for advanced textiles, product design engineering, visual communications departments and the product design department. The Richmond has the fine art photography department, and connected to this building is the John D. Kelly building that has the printing and first year design programs. The Mackintosh School of Architecture and the school's library are both housed in the Bourbon Building.

  •  The David Livingstone Center
    Blantyre is just a small village in South Lanarkshire, some eight miles from Glasgow, Scotland and is best known as the birthplace of David Livingstone and contains the David Livingstone Center. It is owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland and was at one time a tenement house, with 24 families, including the Livingstones, living here on 20 acres of parks and gardens. The building was converted into a museum in 1929, and charts the life and explorations of one of the country's most famous explorers. It houses a cornucopia of his personal items that include his diaries, scientific, medical and navigational equipment and educational certificates. The museum contains over 40 letters at Blantyre with many containing medical and scientific material as well as letters to Robert Moffat, Robert Murchison, James Loudon, Henry Stanley and J. Risdon Bennett that includes an account of Livingstone being mauled by a lion. The collection includes numerous medical certificates from his time at Anderson's University in Glasgow, with the majority of the certificates and letters being displayed. David Livingstone was born March 19,1813 in Blantyre, Scotland to a working class family with seven children, of which he was the second. They all lived in the tenement building that has become his museum and was owned by the mill company that David started working for at the ripe age of 10. His father taught him to read and write and besides the schooling that the company gave at night, he learned Latin himself and developed an exceptional love of natural history. By 19 years of age, he had been promoted and with the increase in wages, was able to save enough money to attend Anderson's University in 1836 to study medicine. By 1838, he had to suspend his studies and spent a year at the London Missionary Society in Chipping Ongar, Essex. Moving to London in 1840, he would complete his medical studies at the British and Foreign Medical School, Charing Cross Hospital, Aldersgate Street Dispensary and Moorfields Hospital and by the end the year had qualified as a Licentiate of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. During the same month, he would also be ordained as a missionary by the London Missionary Society and in December, sailed to South Africa and then on to Kuruman where he would become the missionary's doctor. During the years from 1841 to 1873, when he passed on, he would explore the jungles, plains and wild lands of central and southern Africa, hoping to spread Christianity and bring civilization and commerce to the regions. However, he would spend later years exploring, first the Zambesi and its tributaries and then looking for the source of the Nile. All those years, he only returned to his homeland twice, in 1856 and 1864.  David was one of the first medical missionaries in southern Africa, the very first in central Africa and in many cases the first European that met the local tribes. He easily won their trust as a healer and medicine man, getting such a great reputation in the villages that he finally had to limit his treatments to those that had serious illnesses; but especially sought after for his skills in obstetrics, ophthalmology and surgical removal of tumors. He was a thorough and exact observer, prolific writer and his journals, letters and published narratives gave such splendid observations on African diseases like scurvy, malaria and tropical ulcer. He would become the first medical practitioner to give quinine in a dose that has grown to be considered effective so much so that unlike other expeditions to the dark continent, his parties of explorers would invariably suffer less of these diseases and a very low death rate. The recipe for his remedy would become known as "Livingstone's Rousers", and was recorded in his traveling writings and were manufactured in tablet form by the firm of Burroughs, Wellcome and had been available until the 1920s.

Enterprise rent- a- car Glasgow

BIG discounts are waiting at Enterprise Rent-A-Car for your next vacation to Glasgow.  Enterprise will give you the best selection of new quality cars to choose from and the best staff to help you with that decision.  Stop by our friendly web site today and begin saving with Enterprise Printable Coupons

Glasgow Apt. Enterprise Rental Car - Glasgow Airport
Enterprise Car Rental Glasgow
- 110 Glasgow Rd.
Glasgow Enterprise Rental Cars - Glasgow City Center

Local Restaurants in Glasgow
  • The Left Bank
    Starters; soup & bread; toasted sesame seed & red pepper humus with wholegrain flatbread; herby meatballs with chili arrabiatta, fresh parmesan & garlic bread; sticky green chili garlic tiger prawns with home fried crackers; chicken satay skewer, char-grilled with java spices & roasted peanut chili sauce; sticky pork ribs cooked in molasses, star anise, sesame & chili; chargrilled courgette, roasted pepper, aubegine & rosemary stack with parmesan; cayenne dusted flash fried squid with homemade lime mayo; spinach & feta quinoa cake with roasted almond & coriander pesto; moules mariniere or rasam curry with chips or bread. Mains; Left Bank super salad with tahini, lemon & mint dressed leaves, quinoa, chickpeas, broad beans, sweet potato, peas, grated beetroot, red onion, pumpkin seeds & rocket sprouts; fish supper with North Sea haddock in beer batter with ayrshire chips & Left Bank spicy tartar with or without minty mushy peas; Left Bank burger with Scottish beef or spiced bean & sweet potato with home made chips, salad, jalapeno beetroot relish & chipotle mayo; West Coast mussels with bread or chips, mariniere, shallots, white wine, cream & parsley; rasam in South Indian tomato, lentil, tamarind & curry leaf; garlic masala fried fish on a goan seafood curry with malabar garlic pickle & tomato rice; chargrilled aberdeen angus rib eye with roast tomato, mushroom & chips; penne with peperonata, wild rocket, chili & parmesan; thali with cauliflower kofta, lentil & coconut dal, radish & red onion raita, mango & ginger chutney, rice & flatbread; corn fed kashmiri chicken with roasted almonds, honeyed yogurt, fresh mango & ginger chutney & caramelized lime; potato, onion & broccoli latke with apple, fennel & caraway salad & horseradish smetana.

  • Red Onion
    Appetizers; fresh veggie soup of the day; shellfish bisque with rouille, gruyere & croutons; Bang bang chicken salad with spicy nut dressing; roasted field mushroom bruschetta with rocket, parmesan & pesto; crisp fried haggis cakes with pickled red onions; grilled goats cheese & black pudding salad with plum tomato chutney; crayfish cocktail with apple, avocado & melba toast; king prawn or veggie tempura with ponzu dipping sauce; duck & ginger spring roll with sweet chili vinegar; seared scallops with chorizo, plum tomato & rocket salad with balsamic dressing; chicken liver parfait with oatcakes & red onion marmalade. Mains; garlic & thyme roast chicken with maple-cure bacon, spinach & sweetcorn & black-eyed bean; succotash-mash or fresh cut chips; 5 spice & honey roast Gessingham duck breast with sweet potato fondant, pak choi & shiitake mushroom jus; chargrilled Caledonian crown steaks, sirloin or rib eye with onion rings, roast tomato, pepper sauce and fresh cut chips; slow-braised lamb korma with fragrant rice, coriander chutney & roti; chargrilled beef burger with skinny fries & tomato relish; Nashi Goreng is spicy fried rice with chicken, bacon, shrimp, soft fried egg & cucumber salad; fresh fish & chips with tartar sauce; Finnan haddi fishcakes with salad, peas, Mornay sauce & soft poached egg; grilled seabass fillet with rosti potato cake & rocket green bean & silver anchovy salad-Caesars dressing; grilled salmon with sun-blushed tomato, fennel, crab & basil risotto; shellfish spaghetti with lobster, scallops, king prawns & mussels with lemon, parsley & garlic; macaroni cheese with plum tomato, parmesan gratin & crostini; goats cheese, ratatouille & spinach tart with roast red pepper sauce.

 

North Sea Haddock Left Bank Glasgow, Scotland

 

Angus Rib Eye Left Bank Glasgow, Scotland

 

 

 

Garlic/Thyme Chicken Red Onion Glasgow, Scotland

 

Fish n Chips Red Onion Glasgow, Scotland

 

Shellfish Spaghetti Red Onion Glasgow, Scotland

Hertz Car Rental Glasgow

RentalCarMomma.com and Hertz Rental Cars have teamed up to give their customers the BEST savings and discounts in the rental car business.  Visit the Hertz web site and start saving money.
Hertz Discounts and Savings  

Hertz Rental Cars Glasgow Intl. Apt.- St. Andrews Paisley
Glasgow Prestwick Apt. Hertz Car Rental
 Terminal Bldg. Ayreshire

Hertz Rental Car Hydepark- 138 Hydepark St.

  • Hill House Hill House Helensburgh, Scotland
    The Hill House is located in Helensburgh, Scotland and is one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's most famous designs, and is believed to be his second best after the Glasgow School of Art. The structure was designed and constructed for the publisher Walter Blackie in 1902 to 1904, with Mackintosh designing most of the interior rooms, furniture and furnishings as well. He outstanding attention to detail can be seen throughout the magnificent estate and went so far as describing the color of cut flowers that the owners should place on the living room table, so that they wouldn't clash with the remainder of the decor. In 1982, the spectacular mansion was donated to the National Trust for Scotland that still maintains it and takes care of visitors. West of Glasgow, the new village of Helensburgh was for the folks that made their money from the crowded and industrialized city, and in 1902, publisher Walter Blackie bought a lot there. After getting a suggestion from his friend Talwin Morris, Mackintosh was commissioned to design and construct the future house of the Blackie family; the Hill House. Walter was somewhat taken back when he saw the architect's youthfulness, until he went to visit one of the designs that Mac had done and thereby became quite convinced that this was the perfect architect to build his dream house. Walter did put some restrictions on the Mac, like no bricks, plaster or wood beam construction and no red-tiled roof, which could be seen in the rest of west Scotland. Walter, instead preferred gray rough cast for the exterior walls and slate for the roof, and smaller details that didn't seem to hinder the versatile Mackintosh at all. Before starting any part of the project, Mac spent a few days with the family in their old house, observing their everyday life from the inside out; and with profound analysis, he was able to design every part of the new house with the needs of each member realized. Mac believed in taking care of the functional issues and then working the beauty parts into that. This would invariably result in a well satisfied client and he was right. The uniform and grayish outside treatments blend in perfectly with the cold cloudy days of Scotland and the asymmetrical construction forms various roof levels and shapes. The lack of exterior decorations, heavy walls and rectangular and square windows reflect a strong, sober construction and the inside seemed to be exactly opposite of what was seen on the exterior. The mansion combined the Edwardian period's traditional 'femininity' of an intimate interior space, with the masculinity of the exterior public world, with both qualities somehow used in the remainder of the interior of the magnificent mansion. Mac used different materials, lighting and colors, when it was needed to differentiate the inside from the outside and all of this was done in such a well planned and elegant manner that one without the other would seem disorganized and out of place.

  • Kelvingrove Art Gallery and MuseumKelingrove Art Gallery and Museum Glasgow, Scotland
    The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is found in Glasgow, Scotland and houses one of the continent's best civic art collections. In 2003 to 2006, there was a massive restoration done, and has become the most popular free attraction in the nation, and the most visited museum in the United Kingdom outside of London. The construction of the museum was partially financed by the proceeds from the 1888 International Exhibition that was held in Kelvingrove Park. The beautiful gallery and museum was designed by Sir John W. Simpson and E. J. Milner Allen, with opening happening in 1901. Constructed in a Spanish baroque style, it follows the Glaswegian tradition of using Dumfriesshire red sandstone and contains a complete program of architectural sculpture by Francis Derwent Wood, George Frampton and other sculptors; with the centerpiece of the central hall was the huge pipe organ that was installed by Lewis & Co. The museum's collections were acquired mostly from the McLellan Galleries and also from the old Kelvingrove House Museum in Kelvingrove Park; with one of the best collections of arms and armor in the world and a huge natural history collection. Their art collection contains many famous European artworks, with many by the old masters, Dutch renaissance, Scottish colorists, French impressionists and students of the Glasgow school. The museum contains the Christ of Saint John of the Cross by Salvador Dali, and the copyright of the painting was purchased by the curator after meeting with Dali himself. For a while, between 2003 and 2006, the painting was taken to the St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art. The museum was reopened by Queen Elizabeth II in July, 2006 and cost more than 28 million pounds, with a brand new restaurant and huge basement extension that would help display the 8000 exhibits that are shown here.

avis discount rental car Glasgow

On your next visit to Glasgow, Avis Rental Cars will make your visit the best.  Avis Rental Cars will help you choose the best vehicle for your trip and our friendly staff will help.  Get the BEST discounts and savings at Avis Rental Cars. 
Avis Printable Coupons.
Avis Discounts

Glasgow Intl. Apt. Avis Car Rental  - St. Andrews Dr.
Avis Car Rental Glasgow Apt..
- St. Andrews Dr.
Prestwick Apt. Avis Rental Cars
- Terminal Bldg.

  • Hunterian Art GalleryHunterian Art Gallery Glasgow, Scotland
    The University of Glasgow's Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery is the oldest public museum in the country and located in numerous buildings of the main campus in the west end of Glasgow, Scotland and was bequeathed by William Hunter in 1783. The museum opened in 1807 in the specially built building off High Street, next to the original campus of the University of Glasgow, then when the university moved to escape the crowds and pollution to Gilmorehill, the museum went with it. The Hunterian collections were transferred to the university's current site in 1870 and given halls in the Sir George Gilbert Scott's neo-gothic building. In the beginning, the complete collection was housed altogether and shown in the packed conditions that were common in museums in that era, however, certain sections were moved sometime later to various parts of the university. The zoological collections are in the Graham Kerr building, the library, containing about 10,000 printed volumes and 650 manuscripts received in 1807 were sent to the Glasgow University Library and the art collections went into the Hunterian Art Gallery. The anatomical collections went into the Allen Thomson building and his pathological preparations went to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow.  The funds for the creation of the museum and nucleus of the collections came from the Scottish anatomist and scientist, William Hunter, plus his medical collections that had come from his own works, with Hunter collecting widely, occasionally helped by his numerous aristocratic and royal patrons. William and his agents scoured Europe for books, paintings, coins, manuscripts, minerals, prints, ethnographic materials and minerals, as well as insects and other biological specimens. His eclectic bequest would become the core of the collections, however, since his passing, the collections have grown a lot and now contain some of the most important collections of works by artists like Charles Rennie Mackintosh and James McNeill Whistler, plus the splendid zoological, archaeological, anatomical, geological scientific instruments and ethnographic collections. The collections have been distributed to many buildings on the campus and include; the Hunterian museum which contains many displays that pertain to Hunter and his collections, Roman Scotland, especially the Antonine wall, ancient Egypt, scientific instruments, coins and medals, geology and ethnography and so much more. The Antonine wall is almost 1900 years old and is from the old Roman wall that went 63 miles across the country during the 1st and 2nd century to keep invaders out of the area inhabited by Roman soldiers.

  • Glasgow Science CenterGlasgow Science Center Glasgow, Scotland
    The Glasgow Science Center is one of the nations top attractions and presents many ideas of science and technology in unusual and exciting ways, located in Glasgow, Scotland. This is a purpose built science center that is made up of three major structures that include; the Science Mall, the Glasgow Tower and the IMAX theater. The Science Mall is a titanium-clad crescent shaped structure that contains three floors of more than 250 interactive science-learning displays, the Science Show theater and the Glasgow Science Center planetarium; which houses a Zeiss optical-mechanical projector that is able to project night sky images onto a 15 m diameter dome. The IMAX theater is the first and only IMAX cinema that has been created in the nation and is a single auditorium that seats 370 people in front of a huge rectangular screen that measures 60 by 80 feet and has the ability to show 3D films as well as the standard 2D films in IMAX format. The Glasgow tower is over 400 feet and is the tallest tower in the country with a Guinness World Record for the tallest tower in the world in which the entire object is able to turn 360 degrees around. The tower has two elevators with each one being able to hold 12 people and an emergency stairway with 523 steps from the top to the bottom. It is shaped like a airfoil, or imagine a plane wing stuck in the ground, with computer-controlled motors that turn it into the wind so that the resistance is lowered. The tower had been called the Millennium Tower, which had been the winning design for an international competition that wanted a tower for the center of the city. The tower is the spiritual successor to the Clydesdale Bank tower that had been placed basically in the same spot for the 1988 Glasgow Garden festival. The Glasgow Science Center opened in 2001, and is part of the continuing development of Pacific Quay.

Thrifty Car Rental Glasgow

  Thrifty customers will get the biggest selection of new quality cars to choose from and the friendliest customer service.  Thrifty Rental Car will give you the best deal and it is one of the best known companies in the rental car business.  
Thrifty Cheap Locations

Glasgow Apt. Thrifty Rental Cars - Inchinnan Rd.
Thrifty Car Rental Glasgow City- 85 Lancefield St.

  • The Mackintosh HouseThe Mackintosh House Glasgow, Scotland
    The Mackintosh House is a reconstruction of the major interiors from the Glasgow house of the Scottish architect and designer, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928), and the artist, Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864-1933). The gifted couple lived at 78 Southpark Avenue from 1906 until 1914 and made important renovations to the house remodeling the proportions and natural lighting of the Victorian end-of-terrace home. The main interiors were decorated by Mac in his own unique style, considered remarkable then and now, for the disciplined austerity of the decorations and furnishings that are still found there. In 1946, the house was bought by the University of Glasgow; and the wonderful generosity of the Davidson family was able to donate the marvelous gift with all of the interior furnishings intact and complete. Then, in 1963, the house having been threatened by subsidence, with the land next to it slated to be used for redevelopment, the house was demolished; however, just before that happened, a complete survey was done and every salvageable piece or item was removed to make sure that the future reconstruction would be exact. The architects, Whitfield Partners, conceived the Mackintosh house to become an integral part of the Hunterian Art Gallery, they made especially sure that the sequence of rooms would exactly reflect the original. Almost the same views and natural lighting were kept and achieved as the 78 Southpark Avenue home had been only a 100 yards away. The remainder of the house, the kitchen, secondary bedrooms, bathroom and cloakroom were not reconstructed. The other interior rooms, finished in 1981, look exactly as they did when Margaret and Charles lived there. The bric a brac, curtains, soft furnishings and fitted carpets are as close to the originals as could be achieved based on contemporary descriptions and photographs of the original interiors of the period.

  • St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and ArtSt. Mungo Museum Glasgow, Scotland
    The St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art is a religious museum in Glasgow, Scotland and is touted as the only museum in the world devoted to the subject, although there is another notable museum like this in the State Historical Museum in St. Petersburg. This museum opened in 1993, and is located in Cathedral Square, on land belonging to Glasgow Cathedral; constructed by the site of the medieval castle complex of the Archbishops of the diocese of Glasgow, portions that can be viewed inside the cathedral and the Peoples Palace Museum in Glasgow Green. The museum was constructed in an ersatz-medieval style to complement the Provands Lordship House that is nearby. It houses many beautiful exhibits that pertain to the world's major religions, and contains a Zen garden and sculpture highlighting Islamic calligraphy. While the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was being renovated, it would house the Salvador Dali painting, "Christ of Saint John of the Cross".   The museum's goal is to look at all the world's main religions and faiths in hopes of giving understanding and respect between the people that belong to the religions and faiths, or none. Although the building looks much older than it is, it was constructed in 1989 in the Scottish baronial style where the medieval bishop's palace stood. It is the perfect venue for families of all beliefs and faiths to come and visit, learning about other peoples faiths and customs and to explore the age-old themes of life, death and what is beyond death. There are four main display areas spread across three floors; the gallery of Religious art, the gallery of religious life, a temporary exhibition space and the Scottish gallery. Here you can learn more about the six main religions of the world; Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism, all set in the gallery of religious life; as well as listen to the people that believe in these religions and hear them talk about it. The museum also has excellent views of the cathedral and the necropolis with a peaceful Japanese Zen garden to help you meditate or just relax and ponder the important questions of life; like where to have lunch after you finish the tour.

Dollar Rent-A-Car Glasgow

When you want the best discount and the most reliable vehicle, use Dollar Rent-A-Car.  You know that you will get the best deal on a new quality vehicle when you use a company that has a name like Dollar.  Head to the Dollar web site today and get the BEST deals around.
Dollar Coupons and Discounts

Glasgow Apt. Dollar Car Rental - Inchinnan Rd.

  • Paisley Museum and Art GalleryPaisley Museum and Art Gallery Glasgow, Scotland
    The Paisley Museum and Art Gallery is located about 7 miles west of Glasgow, Scotland in the biggest town in Scotland, Paisley; that has had and been involved in much of the incredible history of the country. The town grew around Oakshaw, on the west bank of the White Cart River, where many believe that a Roman outpost had been located in the first few centuries of history. During the early 1800s, the town grew due to the industry that also grew in the area, involved in textiles, the printing, bleaching and cotton thread industries mostly, with the unique name of "paisley", given to the Kashmiri pattern of curving shapes that were put on the silk and cotton fabrics produced. The museum was opened in 1871, and the structure that houses the marvelous collections was designed by the well known Glasgow architect, John Honeyman and paid for by Sir Peter Coats of the renown Coats thread manufacturing family. The museum contains a treasure trove of historical artifacts, as well as ancient Egyptian relics to the objects that were involved in the industrial past and the region's natural heritage. Their textile collections are some of the finest in the world, as is the Paisley shawl collection, the Arbuthnott missal and more. The Paisley Art gallery has outstanding permanent collections of sculpture, studio ceramics and paintings with works by the Paisley born writer and artist John Byrne, the Scottish colorists and artists from the Glasgow School.  The Arbuthnott Missal is the only existing liturgical book of Scottish use, written in 1491, on vellum, by James Sibbald, priest of Arbuthnott, Scotland, who used gothic characters to write the book with beautiful illuminations. The missal is the only complete service worship book of its kind in the world, that is known to have survived through the Reformation period that occurred in Scotland during that period. The spectacular book is able to give archaeologists and church officials the unique and irreplaceable understanding into the forms of worship that was used and practiced by the Scottish churches, as well as at that time and perhaps as much as 4 centuries before. It is said to follow the Sarum Rite instead of the Roman Rite for the calling of services and worship including the mass and divine office. Besides being such a magnificent article of Scottish history and religion, the missal itself is a very rare and prominent example of the Scottish medieval letters and art; being a large, exquisitely preserved volume of 248 pages, luxuriously decorated with 20 three-quarters page border illuminations and illustrations, and delicately miniature initials interspersed through the text. There is an amazing full-page miniature painting of St. Ternan, patron saint of the church of Arbuthnott, and is certainly one of the earliest Scottish portraits ever created. After the Reformation period, the elegant book became the property of the Arbuthnott family, who held onto it until 1897, when it was then bought by Archibald Coats of Paisley, who later donated it to the town's museum. 

  • City ChambersCity Chambers Glasgow, Scotland
    The City Chambers of Glasgow, Scotland have been the headquarters of the Glasgow City Council since 1996, and other forms of government in the city since 1889; sitting on the east side of the city's George Square. The structure was built between 1882 and 1888 by city architect, William Young and is a marvelous example of Victorian civic architecture. The hall was dedicated by Queen Victoria in 1888, and the initial council meeting was held there in October 1889. The building had an area of some 15,000 square feet originally until 1923, when it was enlarged on its east side and opened. Then, in 1984, the Exchange House was finished and would increase the size of the chambers complex to over 50,000 square feet. The city's need for a new chamber began to become apparent in the 18th century, when the old Tolbooth at Glasgow Cross became too small for the current purposes of civic government in a city that was constantly growing and assuming more political responsibilities. Then, in 1814, the tolbooth was sold, except for the steeple that is still there, and the council chambers moved to Jail Square in Saltmarket by Glasgow Green.  The structure is the architect's interpretation of renaissance classicism with aspects of Italianate styles and a large amount of elegant decoration that was used to showcase the wealth and industrial export-led economic prosperity of the Second City of the Empire. The exterior sculpture was created by James Alexander Ewing and contained the central Jubilee pediment as the centerpiece. That pediment was used to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, showing the queen enthroned, surrounded by emblematic figures of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England, along with the colonies of the British Empire. He also designed the apex sculptures of Truth, Honor and Riches as well as the statues of the Four Seasons on the chamber's tower. This central apex figure is of Truth and has become known as the city's Statue of Liberty, since it closely looks like the same posed figure as the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor, which is much bigger. The interior is as beautiful as the outside, with marvelous sculptures and ornaments that will mesmerize the visitor and will take some time to look it all over, enjoying every minute of this magnificent structure full of history and art. 

National Rental Cars Glasgow

National Car Rentals will get you on the road quickly and without any hassles.  National's friendly staff and quality cars selection will make sure your vacation more enjoyable.  Begin saving money today by making your reservation at National Car Rental.
National Printable Coupons.

Glasgow Intl. Apt. National Car Rental 

 Prestwick, Ayrshire KA9 2PL

National Rental Car Glasgow Apt. - St. Andrews Dr.

May 09, 2011