Car Rentals

 Car Rentals Minnesota

Discount Car Rentals in Minnesota

Advantage Car Rental coupons

Minneapolis Advantage Car Rental

Headed to Minneapolis?  Advantage Car Rental will help you see the Minnesota sights and hear the Minneapolis sounds.  Save money (to spend on an extra drink or dinner), save time and save headaches by working with a great company in a great city.

Alamo Car Rentals Minnesota

Get the biggest savings and help for you and your family from Alamo Rental Cars on your next vacation.  Alamo will get you the best deals in the car rental business. 
 
Alamo Savings and Discounts
Alamo discounts 

Duluth Apt. Alamo Car Rentals - 4701 Grinden Dr.
Alamo Rental Cars Minneapolis-St. Paul Apt.
 Main Terminal-Lindbergh

Things to do in Minnesota

  • W. W. Mayo House W. W. Mayo House Minnesota
    Dr. William Worrall Mayo began a famous medical heritage in Minnesota, being born in England in 1819, in Eccles, and going to college in Manchester. Mayo was inspired by the world famous scientist, John Dalton, creator of the atomic theory of chemistry; which drew Mayo into the realm of the unknown and undiscovered arenas of chemistry, and would set him apart from other frontier doctors. After studying in the cities of Manchester, Glasgow and London, Mayo came to the United States in 1845 and began working as a pharmacist in Bellevue Hospital, New York City. Eventually the opportunities of the west beckoned and Mayo stopped in Buffalo for a little while and then moved on to Lafayette, Indiana, starting a men's tailor shop called, "Hall of Fashion" since he had done some work as a tailor in England. In 1849, Mayo went back to his first calling with Dr. Elizur Deming, one of the city's best physicians and founder of Indiana Medical College in La Porte. In the fall, after having helped considerably in a cholera epidemic in Lafayette, he enrolled in the college for a 16 week course. At that period in time, the preceptor system, where a hopeful doctor apprenticed with a practicing physician for some months or years, was on the wane, the medical schools were growing up to give these aspiring young doctors some kind of training, although the curriculum varied widely, with very few offering some clinical experience. Some of these early practitioners would open an office without ever having seen a patient, just book learning. Some of the private schools, like Indiana Medical College, didn't have any admission requirements and many of the students were illiterate, with the courses upgraded and the professors teaching the same course year after year. Sometimes, there would be some demonstration of surgery or optional course about dissection, but rarely, and Indiana was one of the few to actually have a microscope for the hundred or so students. In fact, this valuable aid wasn't available at Harvard until 1869, but Mayo would soon develop a keen and lasting interest in the microscopic analysis. In 1860, in Le Seuer, he was believed to have been the only doctor in Minnesota that made his own and used the microscope in his practice. Getting his degree in 1850, he married Louise Abigail Wright, a young woman he'd met when he studied in La Porte, a year later, and she would soon realize that her young husband wasn't one to stay put in one place too long. Within two years, Mayo was on his way to St. Louis, finding a job as an assistant in anatomy at the University of Missouri medical department, and got another M.D. degree. Meanwhile, back in Lafayette, Louise started a millinery business and had a daughter, Gertrude in 1853. In 1854, Mayo was getting more annoyed with his attacks of malaria that he endured in Indiana and during one of those told his wife he was going away until he got well or died. Mayo ended up in Galena, Illinois, and headed west on a steamboat going to Minnesota, a popular growing territory that had boasted of its wonderful climate that was healthful to all that came and thus brought many from the southern malaria infested area to the northern area. After being in St. Paul a short time, Mayo realized that his malaria attacks were abating, and he went back to Indiana to bring his family to this great area. Once his family was settled, he was off to Lake Superior, where he began taking the census for the lakeshore area around current Duluth and in 1856 Mayo went south on the Minnesota River to the region around Le Seuer, called Cronan's Precinct, and took over an abandoned farm and moved his family here into a one room log cabin. Called the little doctor, because he was rather short in statue, being 5 foot four inches, he supported his family practicing medicine and having two more daughters, Sarah and Phoebe. He tried farming a bit, started and ran a ferry service from Cronan's Precinct to Le Sueur, across the river and some miles upstream, also becoming the justice of the peace and practicing medicine when called upon. Mayo started building a two story house on Main Street in Le Seuer after the terrible flood during the spring of 1859, with the help of his brother, James, and the family moved in that year. Mayo started his first medical practice in the state of Minnesota, and in the beginning had little need for his practice. There were medical problems with the frontier people, but they had always used home remedies and medicines to cure themselves, unless of a dire need to see a doctor. In 1861, his son, William James was born, and Mayo continued working on a river steamboat to supplement his income, and began a weekly newspaper, the Le Seuer Courier, that only lasted three months. The Civil War started and he tried enlisting in the army as a regimental surgeon, but was turned down. However, in 1862, the U. S. Dakota War broke out on the Minnesota frontier and he volunteered to march with a quickly organized group that was going to help the beleaguered New Ulm, a ways up the Minnesota River. Mayo and other doctors set up a triage to take care of the wounded and other refugees that came here from the area's farms. Louise stayed in Le Seuer and opened her house and barn to 11 refugee families. In 1863, Mayo was appointed the examining surgeon of the draft enrollment board that served the lower half of the state, headquartered in Rochester, so the doctor left his wife and family once more and headed to that city to examine the volunteers and drafted men. He liked Rochester and soon had his family moved there in 1864, and had another son, Charles Horace, in 1865. His practice grew significantly, with his involvement in the school board, being mayor and alderman, giving him little time, he never had to find other supplemental work again. He grew to be a marvelous medical practitioner, pioneering various surgical techniques like ovariotomy for the relief of woman's diseases, and in 1869, would spend some months in New York and Pennsylvania studying gynecology and general surgery. He went around Rochester doing "kitchen surgery", with great success and his two sons, Will and Charlie, went with him and helped occasionally. After a destructive tornado came through the city in 1883, he organized treatment for the injured, with his sons helping, and other doctors coming in to assist. He also asked for help from the Sisters of St. Francis, and sometime later, Mother Alfred talked the doctor into helping them build and run a hospital; St. Mary's. The hospital opened in 1889, and Mayo, then 70, became head of the medical staff and his two sons became the medical staff. Many other doctors were invited to join the group, but they declined, since the belief at the time was that hospitals didn't work and would soon fail. But it didn't, and from the start, the Mayo Clinic, with its group of medical and surgical specialists, working in co-operative practice, brought world wide recognition and fame to the Mayos and their outstanding clinic. Mayo passed on in 1911, just before his 92nd birthday, and Louise passed four years later. Their sons, Drs. Charlie and Will, had become established and well known physicians themselves, and they continued to enlarge the clinic's programs for medical care, surgery, research and teaching and were always thankful to their parents who had helped them achieve as much as they did.

Budget rent a car Minnesota

Budget Rent-A-Car  has the best customer service staff in the car rental business that are friendly and courteous.  Log onto the Budget web site and get the best online discounts with the new
 
Budget Printable Coupons
 
Minneapolis-St. Paul Apt. Budget Car Rentals
 4650 Glumack Dr.
 
Budget Car Rental Duluth Intl. Apt. - 4701 Grinden Dr.
HHH Terminal MSP Apt. Budget Car Rentals
 7150 Humphrey Dr.

  • History Center MuseumHistory Center Museum St. Paul, Minnesota
    The Minnesota History Center museum opened in 1992, and is home to the Minnesota Historical Society's collections and offers visitors a start to discover their connections with the past. The new building, contains a library, classrooms, museum, conference room, two museum stores, the well known Cafe Minnesota and a 314 seat 3M auditorium. By collecting and preserving the many relics and items from the state's past, the future is illuminated and their innovative and interactive displays will show visitors all that has happened and why. You can climb a 24 ton boxcar or experience the extremities of the state's weather in their marvelous multimedia show that even recreated the enormous power of a tornado. In the library, visitors and researchers can discover much with 346,000 photographs, 53,000 cubic feet of governmental records, view 1,120,000 archaeological relics, 6,000 drawings, prints and paintings, 4 million issues of 4,000 Minnesota newspapers and periodicals, 174,000 books and 230,000 artifacts. The objects are housed in the center's 100,000 square feet of space, with the building containing 427,000 square feet of space that includes, 12,800 square feet of classroom space and 44,000 square feet of museum space. It is called the finest building ever built in the state since the capitol was completed in 1905. Featured exhibits include; Benjamin Franklin: In Search of a Better World; Minnesota's Greatest Generation; and ongoing displays that include; MN 150, Open House; Weather Permitting, Grainland, Home Place Minnesota and Inventive Women: Portraits of Scientists and Engineers from the University of Minnesota. Some great upcoming exhibits include; Chocolate: the Exhibition and the Beatles: A One-Night Stand in the Heartland.

  •  Basilica of St. MaryBasilica of St. Mary Minneapolis, Minnesota
    The Basilica of St. Mary, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, was the first basilica started in the nation, and honored by Pope Pius XI in 1926, and is now the co-cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Well known as one of the best examples of beaux-arts architecture in the country, the basilica was built between 1907 and 1915 by the celebrated Franco-American architect, Emmanuel Louis Masqueray and dominates the city block it sets on in downtown Minneapolis. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and in 1991, the old copper roof was replaced with a new one to stop the water damage and leaks that were making a mess of the interior. On the outside, continued restoration has been ongoing as well as repairing the damaged plaster inside. Beginning in 1995, it has hosted the Basilica Block Party weekend music festival with the proceeds going to repair the old church and helping the needy families in the area. DeLaSalle High School uses it for their commencement ceremonies each spring, since the interior is such a beautiful scene, full of serenity and peace, making it the perfect place to hold those ceremonies and start these young people on their road to success and happiness. The architecture on the inside is marvelous and interesting, with its high vaulted ceiling and statues at the altar. The love of the basilica is seen in the adoring craftsmanship and is always a pleasure to visit, even just to sit at one of the long wooden pews and meditate on life in general or share a problem with the Lord. It is a wonderful experience to visit and calm yourself after a particularly hectic day with pastoral help on hand to add the perfect scripture to your life at just the right moment.

Enterprise rent- a- car Minnesota

BIG discounts are waiting at Enterprise Rent-A-Car for your next vacation.  Enterprise will give you the best selection of new quality cars to choose from and the best staff to help you with that decision.  Stop by our friendly web site today.
Enterprise Cheap Locations

Minn-St. Paul Apt. Enterprise Rental Car - 4650 Glumack Dr.

Local Restaurants in Minnesota
  • The Capital Grille
    Appetizers; wagyu beef Carpaccio is premium Japanese wagyu beef blended with seven spices, seared, chilled and sliced razor thin, garnished with fresh arugula and lemon vinaigrette; lobster and crab cakes is one pound baby lobster, icy gulf coast jumbo shrimp and freshly shucked oysters; pan fried calamari with hot cherry peppers is calamari sautéed in garlic butter then tossed with house blend of peppers and scallions; smoked salmon is fresh cold smoked Maine salmon accented with capers, dill mayo and zesty onion pita crisps. Soups; clam chowder is freshly shucked clams and potatoes with select spices; French onion soup is sweet onions in delectable broth covered by melted cheese. Salads; fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil with 12 year aged balsamic; Capital Grille chopped salad is combo of fresh seasonal veggies, served on mixed greens with housemade croutons and drizzled with olive vinaigrette; Caesar salad; wedge salad is wedge of iceberg lettuce with vine-ripe tomatoes, applewood smoked bacon, house blended bleu cheese dressing. Entrees; seared tenderloin with butter poached lobster; cedar planked salmon with tomato fennel relish; bone-in Kona crusted dry aged sirloin with caramelized shallot butter; porcini rubbed Delmonico with 12 year aged balsamic; sliced filet mignon with cippolini onions and wild mushrooms; filet Oscar; dry ages sirloin steak; Delmonico steak; veal chop Milanese; dry aged porterhouse steak; dry aged steak au poivre with courvoisier cream sauce; double cut lamb rib chops; roasted chicken; broiled fresh lobster; sushi-grade sesame seared tuna with gingered rice; grilled swordfish with lemon shallot relish; seared citrus glazed salmon.

  • The Oceanaire Seafood Room
    Appetizers; jumbo shrimp cocktail, jumbo lump crabmeat cocktail, ahi tuna duo, fried red chili calamari, fried asparagus, shrimps de jonghe, oysters Rockefeller, tempura fried shrimp, steamed mussels mariniere. Soups & salads; New England clam chowder, blue cheese bibb lettuce salad, chilled strawberry and buttermilk soup, chopped house green salad, Caesar salad, iceberg lettuce wedge, seafood chopped salad. Entrees; shrimp scampi, baked stuffed shrimp, black and bleu Hawaiian marlin, baked stuffed Canadian walleye, bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp, seared Massachusetts sea scallops, grilled steak and shrimp, old fashioned fried jumbo shrimp, rainbow trout, California wild white sea bass, mahi-mahi, 6oz. center-cut filet mignon, 10oz. center-cut filet mignon, 16oz. pork chop, 16oz. NY strip, 20oz. bone-in rib eye, grilled Taku River King salmon, wild Alaskan salmon tasting, Costa Rican mahi-mahi, wild Alaskan red king crab clusters, North Atlantic lobsters, baked stuffed lobster, North Australian spiny lobster tail, Icelandic arctic charr, fish and chips, seared-rare Yellowfin tuna ahi, pan roasted chicken chop.

 

Sliced Filet Mignon Capital Grille Minneapolis, Minnesota

 

Veal Chop Milanese Capital Grille Minneapolis, Minnesota

 

 

 California White Sea Bass Oceanaire Seafood Room Minneapolis, Minnesota


Grilled Taku River King Salmon Oceanaire Seafood Room Minneapolis, Minnesota

Hertz Car Rental Minnesota

RentalCarMomma.com and Hertz Rental Cars have teamed up to give their customers the biggest discounts in the rental car business.  Hertz has always been one of the BEST places to rent a car. 
Hertz Discounts

Hertz Rental Cars Duluth Intl. Apt.- 4701 Grinden Dr.
Minneapolis Intl. Apt. Hertz Car Rental - 4300 Glumack Dr.
Hertz Rental Car Minneapolis Intl. Apt. - 7150 Humphrey Dr.

  • Great Lakes Aquarium Great Lakes Aquarium Duluth, Minnesota
    The Great Lakes Aquarium is the only aquarium in the nation that concentrates on freshwater displays and exhibits; it is housed in a three story structure in Duluth, Minnesota, sitting on the shores of Lake Superior with many big and smaller satellite tanks that make up the 120,000 gallon institution. Its construction cost about $34 million and took 3 and a half years to finish; with the major exhibits sitting in a marvelous 62,000 square foot space that is based on real habitats in the Lake Superior basin. These minute replicas are of the St. Louis River area, Kakagon Slough, Isle Royale, Otter Cove, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and the Baptism River region. Permanent features include; Isle Royale, which is a 85,000 gallon tank in the heart of the building that goes to the first and second floor where visitors can view it from various angles and houses fish like trout and lake sturgeons; the Baptism River is a quick moving display that contains a waterfall with brown, brook and rainbow trout; Amazing Amazon is the latest exhibit that opened in 2008 and contains freshwater creatures from the biggest river in the world with poison dart frogs, piranha, macaw, thorny catfish, pacu and arowana; St. Louis River is a slower moving water habitat with walleye, perch, gar, channel catfish, sturgeon and other varieties of the native fish life; Pictured Rocks and Kakagon Slough are located inside a netted area that showcases live songbirds, wetland plants, ducks and sandstone cliffs; while Otter cove is where two hilarious river otters live and was designed after a cove that was found in Pukaska Provincial Park, with a live eagle exhibit next to it. There are 19 various satellite tanks that can be seen at different locations and house fish, snakes, frogs and salamanders. There are numerous electronic displays, science center, cultural exhibits and a local history center.

  • Alexander Ramsey HouseAlexander Ramsey House St. Paul, Minnesota
    The Alexander Ramsey House is located in St. Paul, Minnesota and was the residence of the first governor of the Minnesota territory and the second governor of the state; sitting in Irvine Park, the first wealthy neighborhood in the city. It was designed by well known Minnesota architect, Monroe Sheire and is considered one of the finest examples of Victorian houses with carved walnut woodwork, crystal chandeliers, numerous original furnishings and marble fireplaces. It contains 15 rooms, and is managed by the Minnesota Historical Society, open as a museum/house, with tours all year long. There are many special events held in the grand old house and it is always decorated for the holidays. Ramsey was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1815, and elected as a Whig to the U. S. House of Representatives from 1843 to 1847. He eventually moved to Minnesota and became the first territorial governor from 1849 to 1853, as a Whig, and in 1855, became the mayor of St. Paul, Minnesota. He was elected to the governorship in 1860 and served until 1863, and became the first Union governor to send troops when the Civil War broke out. He had to resign as governor, to become the U. S. Senator from Minnesota, as a Republican. He became quite well known for his stern statements that advocated the killing or removal of certain Native American tribes, mostly the Sioux that lived in his state, and one of his most famous statements was, "The Sioux Indians of Minnesota must be exterminated or driven forever beyond the borders of the state. He went on to become the Secretary of War from 1879 to 1881, under Rutherford B. Hayes.

avis discount rental car Minnesota

On your next visit to Minnesota, Avis Rental Cars will make your visit the best.  Avis Rental Cars will help you choose the best vehicle for your trip and our friendly staff will help.  Get the BEST discounts and savings at Avis Rental Cars. 
Avis Discount and Savings.
Avis Discounts

Duluth Intl. Apt. Avis Car Rental  - 4701 Grindan Dr.
Avis Car Rental Minneapolis-St. Paul Intl. Apt.

7150 Humphrey Dr.

Falls Intl. Apt. Avis Rental Cars
- 2643 County Rd. 108

  • Dorothy Molter MuseumDorothy Molter Museum Ely, Minnesota
    Dorothy Louise Molter was born in Arnold, Pennsylvania in 1907, and lived 56 years on Knife Lake in the Boundary Waters region of northern Minnesota and became famous as the root beer lady; since she made her own root beer and sold it to the thousands of passing canoeists that came by her cabin in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness by Ely, Minnesota. She lived with her folks, Mattie and John "Cap" Molter in Pennsylvania until her mother passed on when she was in the second grade. Then, she and her five brothers and sisters lived in a Cincinnati orphanage until 1919, when their father remarried and had a home for them again, in Garrett, Indiana. The family moved to Chicago and in 1927, she enrolled in nursing school at the Auburn Park Hospital. In 1930, Dorothy visited and helped the people of the Isle of Pines resort and it became her home in 1934. This resort was a bunch of rustic cabins in the Isle of Pines island and next to the Knife Lake island in northern Minnesota, just yards from the Canadian border. Bill Berglund was the owner and operator, until he passed in 1948, and then it became Dorothy's. Since she was a trained nurse, she would help many people with their minor problems and ailments, and she rarely left to visit her family in Chicago or take on some more educational classes in Chicago to keep her nursing license. She would live there on the island until she passed in 1986. Her life, and the place she would hold in the public's eye would be influenced by the locale she lived in, after the mid to late 1940s. The Isle of Pines resort was so typical of the north woods resorts, accessible by seaplanes and motorboats, or if the boat was small enough and the gumption of the traveler big enough, to carry the boat and motor over the land at the portages. Sometime later, it could be reached by snowmobiles, and the area soon became the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, with many changes occurring during the period from 1948 to 1984. The area soon became the biggest one west of the Mississippi, with close to a million acres of pristine forestland, and if you counted in the Quetico Provincial Park in Canada, the region contained 2 million acres. Eventually, it became the most popular canoe region in the nation, soon discouraging all other ventures that needed motor vehicles to access them, and before too long, she was the last resident in the huge area frequented by canoeists. Moving her further from civilization, it would bring tens of thousands of canoeists to her island resort, that soon brought a national interest to her, that included print and television attention that included her final 34 years. Numerous events took place that soon had no motorized vehicles allowed in the wilderness area, and in 1984, a ban on snowmobiles and motorboats effectively closed off the region to all but those that traveled by canoe or foot. After that, her home couldn't operate as a lodge, and she had no electricity, telephone or utilities, using only portable tanks of propane for cooking and a battery operated radio. She heated her cabin by wood, and her home made root beer, she sold to thousands of canoeists that came by her cabin. She would get ice for the drinks by hand cutting the ice in the winter and storing it in her ice house for the cold drinks. Every year, the ice would last to August, but she was prohibited from selling the root beer during her later years, but the visitors continued to enjoy her drink and leave a donation. Her visitors always seemed happy to sign her guest book, and one summer alone, she had over 4000 signatures. Finally a bill was passed that wouldn't allow anyone to live in the wilderness area, but due to such a wonderful outpouring of local support, the rules were relaxed to allow her to stay. She was the last to be allowed to live in the wilderness, until she passed on in 1986. She lived about 36 miles from the closest town and it would take 1.5 days to reach the nearest road.

  • Mayowood MansionMayowood Mansion Rochester, Minnesota
    Dr. Charles Horace Mayo, one of William Mayo's sons, who helped him start the famous Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, had the Mayowood Estate constructed in Rochester, Minnesota between 1911 and 1938. The showpiece of the estate is the 38 room Mayowood mansion with gorgeous gardens surrounding it and in 1965, the Mayo family donated the magnificent estate to the Olmstead County Historical Society. Just two years after, the marvelous estate with its outstanding architecture and historical prominence, helped it become a Minnesota Historic Site and in 1970, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It has become a historical house museum and has been upgraded and restored to the beautiful condition that it was in during the life of Dr. Charles and his wife; as well as showcasing the lifestyle of this great American family.

Thrifty Car Rental Minnesota

Thrifty customers will get the biggest selection of new quality cars to choose from and the friendliest customer service.  Thrifty Rental Car will give you the best deal and it is one of the best known companies in the rental car business.  
Thrifty Car Rental Discounts

Minneapolis Apt. Thrifty Rental Cars - 4512 Post Rd.
Thrifty Car Rental Minneapolis Millenium
 1313 Nicollett Ave.

  • Kensington RunestoneKensington Runestone Kensington, Minnesota
    The Kensington Runestone is a 200 pound slab of greywache rock that is covered in runes, on the front and sides, that if real, proves that Scandinavian explorers came to the heartland of our country in the 14th century. The rock was discovered in 1898 in the rural township of Solem, Douglas County, Minnesota and named after the closest settlement, Kensington, with the majority of runologists and experts in Scandinavian linguistics believing the runestone to be a fake and hoax. It has been examined and dismissed quite often without any local effects, since the community is completely behind the stone, which has transcended its initial cultural importance, and taken on a life of its own. Swedish farmer, Olof Ohman discovered the stone in late 1898, when he was clearing some land of trees and stumps prior to plowing and had just gained control of an 80 acre parcel of land that had been left unallocated because it was an internal improvement land. The stone was by the crest of a knoll rising up out of the wetlands, lying face down and entangled in a great root system of a stunted poplar tree, that was "estimated" as being 10 to 40 years old. The spectacular relic is about 30 inches by 16 by 6, and weighs around 200 pounds. Olof's son, 10 year old Edward, noticed the markings and Olof later said that they had found an Indian almanac. Because only family members had been witnesses to the finding, it became a "provenance" matter, provenance being a French word that means to come from or the origin or source, so that the question of authenticity becomes the most prominent or important matter. Numerous people did see the root system that was cut to take the stone out, and they looked flat in the right spots, with many stories arising that the stone was found in August or November, morning, night, after lunch and more; also who had found the stone, and when it was taken into Kensington and who made the inscriptions that were sent to a regional Scandinavian language newspaper. When Olof had uncovered the stone, the journey of Leif Ericson to Vinland, or North America, was in the news and being widely discussed, with renewed interest in the Vikings all through the Scandinavian peninsula and stirred by the National romanticism movement. Just five years before, a replicated Vikings ship had sailed from Norway to Chicago for the World's Columbian Exposition and great friction between Sweden and Norway, which eventually led to Norway's independence from Sweden in 1905. Many Norwegians said the stone was a Swedish hoax and many Swedes said the stone was a Norwegian hoax, since the stone talks about a joint adventure by both Swedes and Norwegians during the period that they both had the same king ruling over them. In this country, Scandinavians were still considered newcomers, and wanting acceptance, much like any new ethnic group coming to this country, and the runestone appeared in a community that was very proud of its Scandinavian heritage. Eventually the stone was shown at a local bank, and no evidence could be uncovered that Olof was making any money out of the tale. Soon, an error-ridden copy of the inscription arrived at the Greek language department at the University of Minnesota and finally to Olaus J. Breda, a professor of Scandinavian languages and literature there from 1884 to 1899, and who showed little interest in the discovery. Breda deciphered a translation, said it was a forgery and sent copies to linguist in Scandinavia. Norwegian archaeologist Oluf Rygh also decided the stone was not real, and this was substantiated by other linguists. The stone was sent to Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, with their scholars agreeing it was a hoax or not able to decipher the historical context, also declaring it a fake. Olof got it back and it was said that he used the stone as an entry stone into his granary as a stepping stone and one used to straighten out nails. Many years later, his son, said the story was untrue and that they had put it in a nearby shed. The stone was bought in 1907, supposedly for only ten dollars, by Hjalmar Holand, a former grad student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and this seemed to spark renewed interest in the stone as an article that contained the enthusiast summation by geologist Newton Horace Winchell, from the Minnesota Historical Society and linguist George T. Flom, from the Philological Society of the University of Illinois; who both published papers about the stone's authenticity in 1910. The Kensington Runestone is on display at the Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota; and still no one knows for sure if this stone is real or fake; and perhaps we will never know.

  • Runestone Museum
    The Runestone Museum is located in Alexandria, Minnesota and contains the infamous Kensington Runestone and nation's biggest Viking, with other excellent exhibitions that display Norse history, early pioneer life, Native Americans, Minnesota wildlife and a marvelous hands-on children's area. You can visit historic Fort Alexandria, with many authentic log structures, a forty foot Viking ship and 1880 country school house. You can learn about the many different types of tools and farm equipment that was used in that earlier time and a wonderful gift shop that houses many Minnesota and Alexandria souvenirs, books, t-shirts, unique gifts, Viking and runestone information, Viking helmets and swords, with many of them created by local craftsmen, artists and authors. The highlight of the museum is of course, the runestone, that has brought scientists, geologists and linguists here for more than a century trying to help end the question of whether the runestone is real or not. The museum's research library is extensively filled with books and articles about the runestone and its questionable authenticity, even to this very day. Just down the road a piece, you will be able to see the sight of the Ohman farm and walk to where the stone was discovered and the question still remains, like any treasure in the earth. Fort Alexandria is a wonderful replica of the original fort that was built two blocks east of where it sits, constructed in 1862 by the 8th Infantry by a governor's order to help protect the settlers coming to this area after the Dakota conflict of 1860. J. H. Van Dyke constructed the original general store located here, and post office, with a log cabin, smokehouse, blacksmith shop, church and school.

Dollar Rent-A-Car Minnesota

When you want the best discount and the most reliable vehicle, use Dollar Rent-A-Car.  You know that you will get the best deal on a new quality vehicle when you use a company that has a name like Dollar. Dollar Discounts makes your vacation worry free and easy.

MSP Intl. Apt. Dollar Car Rental
 Humphrey & Lindbergh Terminal Locations

  • Pipestone National MonumentPipestone National Monument Pipestone, Minnesota
    The Pipestone National Monument is found in southwestern Minnesota, just a bit north of Pipestone, Minnesota, and is one of the most important places to the Plains Indians who used this rock to make their ceremonial pipes, a very important part of their religious ceremonies. The catlinite or pipestone quarries have been a sacred place for the Dakota, Lakota and other tribes of the Plains Indians and had been neutral territory where every nation, every Indian could come and quarry the stone for their ceremonial pipes. It is believed that the Sioux might have taken control of the quarries in the 1700s, but the Minnesota pipestone has been discovered in North American burial mounds dated long before that and the ancient Indian trails that lead to the area suggest that the pipestone had been quarried here for many centuries. As this country moved westward, in the 19th century, the marvelous pipes eventually found their way into the white man's world by trade. Wanting to protect their source, the Yankton Sioux would get free and unrestricted access to the quarry by the Treaty of 1858 that was signed with them by the government. However, in 1893, the federal government acquired the land and quarries, and in 1928, the Yankton Sioux, living on a reservation some 150 miles away sold their claims to the government, with the National Monument being established by the government in 1937; that restored the quarrying rights back to the Indians. Currently, only Native American people or their ancestors can quarry the pipestone, with a minor boundary change occurring in 1958, and put in the National Park service hands. During the summer, many cultural demonstrations are held at the monument, with the Upper Midwest Indian Cultural Center, sponsoring many such events that showcase the pipe making skills of many Native Americans that use the stone from the quarries. Visitors can hike a three-quarter mile stretch of land that is self-guided and goes to the pipestone quarries and a marvelous waterfall. The visitor center has many great exhibits about the cultural and natural history of the site, that includes a petroglyph display and orientation video that shows the history of the pipestone quarries.

  • Hull Rust Mine
    The Hull Rust Mine is the largest open pit iron ore mine in the world, and is three miles long, two miles wide and 535 feet deep and was the first strip mine in the Mesabi Iron Range. This man-made Grand Canyon was opened in 1895, and since then has produced more than !.4 billion tons of ore on the 2000 acres of land. Each day it continues to grow as the Hibbing Taconite Company Mine expands their operations with rotary drills and 33 cubic yard shovels and 240 ton production trucks; now a National Historic site. Once in a while, you might hear the sound of a dynamite blast as it is used to clear the bedrock away so they can get the iron ore out, where over 800 million tons of iron ore have been shipped out; and at its height, during the 1940s, almost one quarter of the country's iron ore came from the Hull Rust mine. They have an exciting slide presentation that showcases the history of the mine and their earliest activities, with observation building, interpretive graphics, walking trail, mine exhibits, mining trucks, mine shovel bucket and more can be seen and enjoyed while you learn about the industry that changed many elements of our lives.

National Rental Cars Minnesota

National Car Rentals will get you on the road quickly and without any hassles.  National's friendly staff and quality cars selection will make sure your vacation is more enjoyable.  Begin saving money now by making your reservation at National Car Rental.
National Printable Coupons.

Minneapolis-St. Paul Apt. National Car Rental 

 4300 Glumack Dr.

National Rental Cars Duluth Apt. - 4701 Grinden Dr.

May 11, 2011