Car Rentals

 Car Rentals Hanover

Discount Car Rentals in Hanover

Alamo Car Rentals Hanover

Get the BEST savings and help for you and your family from Alamo Rental Cars on your next vacation.  Alamo will get you the BIGGEST savings in the car rental business.  Check out our web site and save.
Alamo Savings
Alamo discounts 

Baltimore Apt. Alamo Car Rentals - 7434 New Ridge Rd.

Things to do in Hanover

    Benson-Hammond House Benson-Hammond House Anne Arundel, Maryland
    The Benson-Hammond house in Linthicum Heights, Anne Arundel, Maryland is a two and a half story Greek revival house with six bay by two bay 19th century brick house, that is now home to the Anne Arundel Historical Society, that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The house was constructed in 1830, and is one of the last surviving farmhouses of a once booming local farm industry that is completely furnished with period antiques and looks as if it is still lived in during that period. The farm was a truck farm from 1830 to 1930 and contains many marvelous relics from the local truck farms that didn't survive the urban development and highway changes. One of the most interesting items in the collection stored there is the picker check collection that shows how the early farmers kept track of who did what so that they could be paid properly.

    B & O Transportation Museum
    Baltimore and Ohio Transportation Museum Baltimore, MarylandThe Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum is also known as the B. & O. Railroad, and is the museum in Baltimore, Maryland that had been called the Baltimore and Ohio Transportation Museum when it opened in 1953; and showcases the historic railroad equipment used by the railroad and is considered one of the most important collections of railroad treasures in the world. It houses the biggest collection of 19th century locomotives in the nation, and is situated in the old Mount Clare Station and its adjacent roundhouse that had been part of the railroad's sprawling Mount Clare Shops site that started in 1829, and is the oldest railroad manufacturing complex in the country. Mount Clare is now believed to have been the birthplace of American railroading, since it was the site of the first regular railroad passenger service in the United States and started on May 22, 1830. This is also the station that sent the first telegraph message, "what hath God wrought?" that went to Washington in 1844 using Samuel F. B. Morse's invention that would revolutionize the way mail and other messages were sent around the country. The magnificent museum contains collections of 19th and 20th century relics that pertain to the nation's railroads and includes 250 pieces of rolling stock, 15,000 relics, four important 19th century structures that includes the roundhouse, 5000 cubic feet of archival material and a mile of track that is now considered the most important mile of railroad track in the country. Today you can ride that track on Wednesday through Sunday from April to December and on weekends in January and during 2002, the museum was welcoming 160,000 visitors each year. The museum and station were made a National Historic Landmark in 1961, and in 2008, the museum won three awards in Nickelodeon's Parents' Picks Awards in the categories of: Best Indoor playspace for little kids, Best Indoor Playspace for Big Kids and the Best Museum for Little Kids. Michael Gross is the museum's celebrity spokesman, who has acted on television and in films. The very first horse-drawn B & O train travelled 13 miles along the newly constructed track from Mount Clare to Ellicott Mills, which is now Ellicott City, Maryland, on May 22, 1830 and it became the first regular railroad passenger service in the United States. The current Mount Clare station made of red brick was constructed in 1851, and the roundhouse next to it was constructed in 1884 and designed by Ephraim Francis Baldwin, and it was used to service the cars.  For the majority of its existence, the B. & O. was collecting its old locomotives and other relics from its history merely for public relations purposes and thus stored in various places, until the railroad thought it should be housed in a permanent home. The car shop of the Mount Clare shops was then decided upon and the new museum would open on July 4, 1953. The museum would outlive its railroad and had been kept intact by both the Chessie System and the CSX Transportation, so in 1990, CSX deeded the entire property and collection to a newly formed nonprofit museum organization that became affiliated with the Smithsonian Institute in 1999. The museum has some wonderful exhibits and these include; both original and copies, some that were produced by the B. & O. for its centennial "Fair of the Iron Horse" in 1927 and other well known locomotives include; the B. & O. #25, the William Mason 4-4-0 built in 1856 and used in the movie, Wild Wild West, the B. & O. #217, built in 1869 at Mount Clare, a 4-6-0 camelback locomotive based on Ross Winans' design, the B. & O. #545, the A. J. Cromwell, a 2-8-0 "Consolidation" built in 1888, the B. & O. #600, a 2-6-0 "Mogul", built in Mount Clare in 1875 that won the first prize at the 1876 Centennial Exposition, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway #490, streamlined "Hudson" a 4-6-4 type, the Chesapeake and Ohio #1604, one of the two left "Allegheny" class 2-6-6-6 locomotives, Pennsylvania Railroad #4876, GG1 Electric that isn't shown as of now, and had crashed into the Washington, DC.'s Union Station in 1953 called the Federal Express Train wreck and many more that are sure to grab and hold your attention for many hours.

Budget rent a car Hanover

Budget Rent-A-Car  is one of the best rental car businesses in the industry.  Budget has more cheap locations around the country than the others and is ready to SAVE you some big money. 
Budget Cheap Locations

Baltimore/Washington Apt. Budget Car Rentals
 7426 New Ridge Rd.
Budget Car Rental Apt. Pkg. Garage
 George Washington Memorial Pkwy.
Glen Burnie Budget Rental Cars
- 7145 Ritchie Hwy.
Budget Car Rentals Laurel - 1 Second St. 

    Dorsey HallDorsey Hall Howard County, Maryland
    Dorsey Hall in Howard County, Maryland is a two and a half story six bay by one bay, stuccoed house with gable roof in one of the finest examples of vernacular style from the early 19th century in the county and belonged to one of the most affluent families, as well as one of the first families in the county. It would be added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. The south side has a three bay by one bay style with a two story west wing and the first floor contains 6 by 6 windows in the twin bays, with the west center bay containing a six panel door flanked by Greek Doric columns. The front door has 16 sidelights and a ten light transom above the door and 4 light transom above the sidelights. The soffit and jambs are paneled as well, with a marvelous one story porch containing a brick deck, and twin Doric columns at every corner with single pilaster on each wall. There is a full tablature with pediment and three of the bays on the east facade contain 4 by 4 sash windows on the first floor. On both gable ends, there is a brick chimney rising up and an exterior brick chimney on the east side that butts up against the chimney on the east. There aren't any outbuildings, and the grounds have been sloped away from the house for greater drainage. Today the magnificent house is encompassed by two story office buildings but it is significantly different architecturally to stand out.

    Baltimore City Life Museum
    Baltimore City Life Museum Baltimore, MarylandThe Peale Museum, which is often called the Municipal Museum of Baltimore, would eventually be housed in the first structure in the Western Hemisphere to be designed and constructed to become a museum, housing many beautiful paintings and exhibits of natural history. The museum was designed by Charles Wilson Peale, however, it would close in 1997, moving its entire collection to the Maryland Historical Society and later made a Natural Historic Landmark in 1965. Peale got his inspiration for the museum in 1783, as he was illustrating mastodon fossils that had belonged to Dr. John Morgan, and after thinking about the museum's creation, he would open it in Philadelphia in 1786. Charles would leave the museum and its operation in the hands of his sons, in 1810, and in 1814, another museum would be opened on Holliday Street by his son, Rembrandt Peale, the second son. That museum would be named, "Peale's Baltimore Museum and Gallery of Fine Arts, housing many outstanding portraits of famous Americans, with quite a few being painted by the elder Peale, as well as a complete skeleton that had been discovered by Charles. The museum was sold in 1830, and the great exhibits moved to a place on Calvert Street, which would become home to the city's first city hall, the Number 1 Colored Primary School and finally rented out to many private businesses. As it grew older, it would be condemned very often and in sure danger of being demolished in 1928. As historians and other concerned citizens became more interested in preserving the old building, a restoration of $90,000, it was rededicated in 1931 as the Municipal Museum of Baltimore. During the years of 1978 and 1979, the museum would enjoy a much needed rejuvenation that helped it reopen in 1981 as the Peale Museum, and by 1985, it would become part of the city's Life Museum system. The original museum would begin with some of Peale's portraits of Revolutionary War heroes and a large amount of curiosities, although it wouldn't be long before the museum was housing mineral, ethnographic and animal specimens; as well as becoming a major repository for the collections of the American Philosophical Society, that included many fossils that had been donated by Thomas Jefferson. The main feature of the entire collection would still be the skeleton of the huge mastodon. By then, the museum had grown to occupy areas of two large buildings, with Independence Hall containing three rooms that were called, the Quadrupled Room that showcased 90 specimens of mammals and the Long Room housing over 700 bird specimens that were highlighted in mini-dioramas, many minerals and quite a few portraits by Peale, 4000 insects contained in glass cases and a third room filled with marvelous marine specimens. The walls of the museum showcase an excellent collection of portraits of the nation's leaders and politicians, while the museum continued to collect specimens and begin housing many Native American relics and fabulous natural history specimens that had been collected by the members of the Lewis and Clark expeditions, as well as other government sponsored expeditions. Although the marvelous structure on North Holliday is now empty, but the excellent collections are now housed by the Maryland Historical Society.

Enterprise rent- a- car Hanover

Enterprise Rent-A-Car has printable coupons for your next vacation or trip.  Enterprise will give you the best selection of new quality cars to choose from and the best staff to help you with that decision.  Stop by our friendly web site today and begin saving with
Enterprise Printable Coupons

BWI Apt. Enterprise Rental Car
 7426 New Ridge Rd. PO Box 279

Enterprise Car Rentals Glen Burnie -  500 Crain Hwy. N.
Jessup Enterprise Rental Cars -  7771 Waterloo Rd.

Local Restaurants in Hanover

    The Timbuktu
    Entrees; served with choice of house salad, vegetable du jour or baked potato & fresh baked bread; surf & turf is 9oz. lobster tail & 9oz. filet mignon broiled; land & sea is two stuffed shrimp & NY strip broiled; steak & cake is NY strip & Timbuktu crab cake; chicken breast a'la parmigiana is boneless breast of spring chicken, sautéed in butter, topped with tomato sauce & parmesan cheese, baked; chicken cordon bleu is tender breast of chicken stuffed with ham & Swiss cheese, topped with mushroom sauce; chicken a'la Timbuktu is breast of chicken sautéed in mushroom & white wine sauce; chicken marsala is breast of chicken in marsala wine sauce; chicken francais is chicken breast sautéed in butter with lemon & wine sauce; chicken scampi is sautéed with trace of garlic & served with rice pilaf; chicken Chesapeake is breast of chicken stuffed with crab imperial & topped with crab imperial sauce; fresh calves liver sautéed with choice of hickory bacon or smothered in Spanish onions; veal cordon bleu is tender veal stuffed with Virginia ham, Swiss cheese sautéed & topped with mushroom sauce; veal scallopine a'la marsala is milk fed veal sautéed in butter with mushrooms & marsala wine; veal scallopine Napolitan style is baby milk-fed veal sautéed with green peppers & mushrooms in special tomato sauce; veal parmigiana is milk fed veal sautéed & topped with imported Italian cheeses & served with special tomato sauce; veal francais is milk fed veal sautéed in butter with lemon & wine sauce; Timbuktu ribs is slow roasted baby back ribs glazed with house special BBQ sauce; filet mignon is extra large cut of choice filet mignon, broiled; petit filet mignon is generous cut of choice filet mignon broiled; roast prime rib extra thick cut of aged beef, slow roasted; boneless NY strip is extra thick cut broiled; Delmonico steak is tender cut broiled.

    Gunning's Seafood Restaurant
    Entrees; crab fluff is jumbo lump crab cake, dipped in house special batter then fried, with FF & cole slaw; Gunning's own jumbo steamed hard crab stuffed with lump crab meat, dipped in house special batter then fried with FF & cold slaw; center cut haddock lightly breaded then fried with FF & cole slaw; crab cake platter is 7oz. jumbo lump crab cake; stuffed gulf shrimp is 3 jumbo shrimp stuffed with crab meat, broiled or fried; stuffed flounder is fresh fillet topped with crab imperial then broiled; orange roughy is tender fillet sautéed in lemon butter; broiled flounder is tender fillet sautéed in lemon butter; baked crab imperial is jumbo lumps of crab, bay seasoned, topped with imperial sauce & broiled; crabman's platter is shrimp, scallops, deluxe crab cake, haddock, stuffed shrimp, fried clams & flounder fried or broiled; jumbo scallops broiled in lemon butter or hand breaded & fried; soft crab platter is two lightly breaded pan-seared soft crab; jumbo fried shrimp hand breaded & fried; choice prime rib seasoned & cooked your way; NY strip steak 14oz. angus strip steak grilled & served with steak butter; hamburger steak is chopped angus sirloin steak broiled & topped with sautéed mushrooms & onions.

Chicken Francais The Timbuktu Hanover, Maryland


Veal Parmigiana The Timbuktu Hanover, Maryland


Delmonico The Timbuktu Hanover, Maryland



 Haddock Gunning's Seafood Restaurant Hanover, Maryland





Hertz Car Rental Hanover and Hertz Rental Cars have teamed up to give their customers the biggest discounts in the rental car business.  Hertz has always tried to give the BIGGEST discounts that SAVE you money.
Hertz Discounts

Hertz Rental Cars Baltimore/Washington Intl. Thurgood Marshall Apt.
 7416 New Ridge Rd.

Baltimore Hertz Car Rental - 2 Aaronson Dr.
Hertz Rental Car Columbia- 6465 Dobbin Center Way
Baltimore Hertz Car Rental - 110 S. Eutaw St.

    Edgar Allen Poe House Edgar Allen Poe House and Museum Baltimore, Maryland
    The Edgar Allen Poe House and Museum in Baltimore, Maryland was the former home of the great American author, Edgar Allen Poe, during the 1830s and is now available as his outstanding museum, in a typical row house, which is now the home of the Edgar Allen Poe Society of Baltimore. In 1972, it would become listed on the National Historic Landmark, being constructed in 1830 on Amity Street. In 1832, the brick house would be rented by Poe's aunt, Maria Clemm, who would then be joined by her sick mother, Elizabeth Cairnes Poe and her daughter, Virginia Clemm. Poe move in with them in 1833, when he was just 23, having just left West Point, and Virginia would be ten. Three years later, he would marry Virginia, with a public ceremony in 1836. The rent for the house would be paid by the pension coming from David Poe, Sr., Elizabeth's husband, who had been a veteran of the Revolutionary War. The house was fairly small, with Poe living on the top floor, that had such a big pitch that its highest point would only be six feet at its tallest point. Many of the houses in the area were scheduled for demolition during the 1930s, to make room for Poe Homes, a public housing project, including the former Poe house, but the society would be able to step in and save it from that terrible fate. The society opened the house in 1949, as a house museum, and still manages it, along with help from the city's Commission for Historic and Architectural Preservation (CHAP). During the remodeling, they would discover skeletal remains under some of the floor boards, that had been spoken of in Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart", but they were merely animal bones that had been thrown away in what was called the trash pit that sat below the house. Tours are now available, but are self-guided, with many marvelous exhibits, including one of Poe's locks of hair, a big reproduction of a portrait of Virginia Clemm painted after her death, original china owned by John Allen who had become Poe's guardian after his mother died, along with many other Poe related-images. In an 1849 reprint of the original 1849 obituary edition of the Philadelphia Dollar newspaper can be seen, as well as a reprint of Poe's original announcement of forming a new literary magazine named The Stylus, that never came to pass. Some of the magnificent works that is believed to have been penned at the house include; the Coliseum, MS. Found in a Bottle, Serenade, Lionizing: A Tale, Enigma, Shadow-A Parable, Latin Hymn, Berenice, The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall, Morella and King Pest the First: A Tale Containing an Allegory. The two and a half story two bay brick house has a gable metal roof, with the front door stationed on the left side of the west elevation, at the top of the wood stoop and flanked on the north by a contiguous structure: with the south elevation without windows. There is a single gabled dormer centered on the west roof and the back contains a two story ell that projects from the south side with a shed roof slopping northwards. You come into the house through the front living room, with a dining room in the back and two steps down, while narrow stairs lead from the dining room to a dirt basement and the second floor. There are two bedrooms on the second floor and stairs that lead to the small attic or garret that must have been part of Poe's room; and still contains most of its original woodworks.

    Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
    Star-Spangled Banner Flag House Baltimore, MarylandThe Star-Spangled Banner Flag House had been called the Flag House & Star-Spangled Banner Museum and is located in the Little Italy area of Baltimore, Maryland that was constructed in 1793 to become the famous home of Mary Pickersgill, when she arrived in the city in 1806 and from where she would sew the famous Star-Spangled Banner; that glorious flag that had flown over Fort McHenry during the summer of 1814, when the British fleet was trying to gain control of the city in the War of 1812. The museum still has the original furniture and other antiques of that period along with many personal belongings of the Pickersgill family. A splendid 12,600 square foot museum was built beside her house, housing exhibits of the War of 1812 and the Battle of Baltimore. There is a great gift shop with many period replicas, meeting rooms, exhibit galleries, a tearoom and orientation theater. The museum contains a large 30 by 42 foot window that was created to be the same color, size and design of the original made by Pickersgill that is located next to the house, and listed on the National Historic Landmark list in 1969.

avis discount rental car Hanover

On your next visit to Hanover, Avis Rental Cars will make your visit the best.  Avis Rental Cars will help you choose the best vehicle for your trip and our friendly staff will help.  Get the BEST discounts at Avis Rental Cars.  Start saving money right away by going to our web site and see the BEST discounts.
Avis Discounts.
Avis Discounts

Baltimore/Washington Intl. Apt. Avis Car Rental  
 7432 New Ridge Rd.

Avis Car Rental Baltimore
- 101 W. Fayette St.
Ellicott City Avis Rental Cars

 10020 Baltimore National Pike Ste. C120

Avis Car Rental College Park - 10000 Baltimore Ave.

    National AquariumNational Aquarium Baltimore, Maryland
    The National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland sits on the Inner Harbor area of the city, opening in 1981 to showcase a magnificent aquarium that was built during the city's urban renewal era with a yearly attendance of 1.5 million that were welcomed to view the massive collection of 16,500 specimens that represent 660 different species. Some of the more popular venues include the dolphin exhibit, the multiple-story shark tank, the outstanding rooftop rainforest and the central ray pool. It has become one of the best aquariums in the country, if not the entire world, with Coastal Living calling it the number 1 aquarium in the USA in 2006. This aquarium is not the National Aquarium in Washington, DC., although it has taken over the management as of 2006; but it is the biggest attraction in the state of Maryland, winning the Best of Baltimore award for Best Over Priced Destination for Families in November of 2006. Excellent exhibits include; the Pier 3 pavilion that houses five floors accessible by elevator, with every floor containing numerous displays that offer a main theme, along with two big tanks, with one simulating the open ocean and the other an Atlantic coral reef. Level 1: Wings in the Water that is housed on the bottom floor in a huge pool that has become home to zebra sharks, southern stingray, tarpon, roughtail stingray, bonnethead shark, cownose ray, giant guitarfish, whitetip reef sharks, pelagic ray, blacktip reef shark and spiny butterfly ray. Level 2 contains fish native to the state and region, with four outstanding exhibits that are able to create an illusion that the visitor is journeying down a Maryland stream from its main source in the Alleghany Mountains to a tidal marsh, then coastal beach and eventually the Atlantic shelf. Some of the many animals that are housed in here include the painted turtle, rosyside dace, wood turtle and American bullfrog in the Allegheny Stream, sheepshead minnow, feather blenny and diamondback terrapin from the Tidal Marsh area, striped burrfish and blue crab from the Coastal beach area and from the Atlantic shelf are clearnose skates and summer flounders. On level 3 that are fish that possess unique adaptions for survival that have become necessary for them to live in their environments, like the electric eel that can shock its prey with electricity, the giant Pacific octopus and the chambered nautilus. On Level 4: Sea cliffs, Amazon River Forest, Kelp forest and Pacific coral reef are found with numerous aquatic habitats that contains the sea cliffs display with many species of seabirds, the Amazon River forest display that has many animals in the water and along the foliage, a Pacific coral reef display and a kelp forest display. The exciting animals that live here include; the Atlantic puffin living in the sea cliffs; the banggai cardinalfish in the Pacific coral reef, pygmy marmoset and giant Amazon river turtles in the Amazon River forest. Level 5 includes the rainforest display that houses many animals from the Amazon Rainforest with an elevated platform to view the birds and monkeys better and a unique cave environment of glass enclosed exhibits of amphibians, terrestrial anthropods and reptiles. Featured animals here include; the golden lion tamarin, blue poison dart frog, scarlet ibis, blue-gray tanager, sunbittern, blue-crowned motmot, the yellow-headed Amazon parrot and the white-tailed trogon. In the Atlantic coral reef display you will see the green moray eel, the open ocean display houses sand tiger sharks, sawfish, sandbar sharks and nurse sharks with the last two showcased as the featured animals. In the Pier 4 pavilion, which is somewhat smaller and opened in 1990, the marine mammal display and dolphinarium is located here with a temporary exhibit about jellyfish called the Jellies Invasion and also contains the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin.

    Fort McHenry National Monument
    Fort McHenry National Monument Baltimore, MarylandFort McHenry sits in the Baltimore, Maryland harbor, where it played a significant role in the War of 1812, when it defended the harbor from an attack by the British navy in Chesapeake Bay that couldn't have changed the course of the war and the future of this great nation. It was during that famous bombardment that Francis Scott Key would be inspired to write a beautiful poem called the Star-Spangled Banner that would grow into the national anthem for the United States. The fort was designed by Frenchman, Jean Foncin in 1798, and become Fort McHenry after it was named for James McHenry, the Scottish-Irish immigrant and surgeon-soldier that would become the first Secretary of War under President George Washington. The fort has been constructed after this nation gained its independence so that it could defend the port of Baltimore from any future attacks that could lead to the capitol. Sitting on the end of Locust Point peninsula that juts out into the harbor, and built in the shape of a five-pointed star encompassed by a dry moat. The moat would enable musketmen to defend the fort from land attacks, as well as becoming a first line of defense, that would put the enemy at a disadvantage point being cross fired on by various locations around the fort and inside it. The fort would become a national park in 1925, and in August, 1939, it would be redesignated as a national monument and historic shrine, which is the only one of its kind in the United States. In 1966, it would be placed on the National Register of Historic Places and a new tradition would be borne out of that war that had every new flag flying over the fort before it would head to its new home. The first official 49th and 50th starred flags are still located there, flown over its bastions and still found on the location. The original flag that had flown over the fort which is the Star Spangled banner flag, was in such terrible shape that had to undergo extensive repairs and is shown at the National Museum of American History inside a special exhibit that lets it lie on its side in a small angle with dim lighting so that it won't decay as fast.  The oversized flag had been created by seamstress Mary Pickersgill for $405.90 before the fort was attacked, although they knew it was coming, therefore the need for the flag, and when it was raised that morning, Francis Scott Key, a Washington lawyer that had come to the city to negotiate the release of Dr. William Beanes, a civilian POW and saw the magnificent flag raised at just the right moment that it filled him with such a moving love for his new nation that he just had to write down those feelings in a poem. 

Thrifty Car Rental Hanover

  Thrifty Car Rental has been a staple in the car rental business for many years.  Thrifty customers are able to download the printable coupons from the main website and SAVE big
 Thrifty Printable Coupons

Baltimore Apt. Thrifty Rental Cars - 7426 New Ridge Rd.
Thrifty Car Rental Seabrook- 9813 Lanham Severn Rd.
Mt. Ranier Thrifty Rental Cars - 3210 Rhode Island Ave.

    Walters Art MuseumWalters Art Museum Baltimore, Maryland
    The Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland sits in the Mount Vernon neighborhood, opening in 1934 with a magnificent collection started by William Thompson Walters, who had started collecting when he moved to Paris at the outset of the Civil War and his son, Henry that refined the collections and moved them into a palazzo structure on Charles Street in 1909. After Henry passed on, he left the collection and the Charles Street building to the city with more than 22,000 artworks included. This wonderful collection contains masterworks of ancient Egypt, art deco jewelry, Greek sculpture, Chinese bronzes and ceramics, medieval ivories, Roman sarcophagi, renaissance bronzes, illuminated manuscripts and old master and 19th century paintings. The Walters Art Gallery would become the Walters Art Museum in 2000 to better showcase its inventory, and the next year, opened its biggest building after a three year restoration. The Walters also contains the Archimedes Palimpsest that is on loan from its private collector that wants spectral imaging studies and conservation done to it.  Their permanent collection houses many marvelous exhibits that include the ancient artworks with examples from the near east, Greece, Egypt, Etruria, Nubia and Rome with two featured huge 3000 pound statues of the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet, marble sarcophagi from tombs that had belonged to the Calpurnian and Licinian families, the Walters mummy, a Roman bronze banquet couch, a big amount of Roman portrait head, alabaster reliefs from the palace of Asunrasirpal II, the Praxitelean Satyr and Greek gold jewelry from the Greek bracelets from Olbia that sat on the banks of the Black sea. It also contains art of the ancient Americas that include the nearly 100 gold relics from the Chiriqui area of western Panama, which has become the nucleus of this collection, with gifts and donations coming in that added works from South and Central America, that include excellent pieces from the Mesoamerican Olmec, Aztec and Maya cultures and the Moche and Inca peoples of eastern South America. In the Asian collection of art there are Japanese arms and weapons, Japanese and Chinese lacquers, metalworks and porcelain. Some of the most outstanding works in this collection include a late 12th or early 13th century Cambodian bronze of the eight armed Avalokiteshvara, an exquisitely painted Ming Dynasty wine jar and a T'ang Dynasty earthenware camel. The museum owns the oldest surviving Chinese wood and lacquer image of the Buddha from the late 6th century that has been moved to a gallery of its own to better showcase this magnificent work. Presently, it contains one of the best and biggest collections of Thai scrolls, banner paintings and bronze in the world. In their Islamic art section, there is a fabulous 7th century carved and hammered silver bowl from Iran and a 13th century candlestick made of gold, silver and copper from the Mamluk Egypt; a 17th century Turkish tile with a beautiful image of the Great Mosque of Mecca, 16th century mausoleum doors decorated with elaborate wood carvings in a radiating star pattern and a 17th century silk sash from the Moghul India. They own many Islamic manuscripts that include a 15th century Koran from northern India a Turkish calligraphy album by Sheik Handullah al Amasi one of the finest calligraphers of all time, a 16th century copy of the Khamsa by Amir Khusraw and a great number of illustrated works by famous artists for the emperor Akbar. In the medieval art section, you will discover a magnificent number of works produced during the Middle Ages in every artistic media of the period, that has become the nucleus of this collection. It is considered one of the best in the nation, and include examples of icons, paintings, sculpture, stained glass, textiles and metalworks. It has become famous for its ivories collection, early Byzantine silver, reliquaries, enamels, illuminated manuscripts, post-Byzantine art and the biggest and best collection of Ethiopian Christian art that exists outside the country of Ethiopia.  Their renaissance and baroque art contains sculpture, weapons and armor, paintings, ceramics, metal works and furniture and includes the magnificent Hugo van der Goes' Door with Saint John the Baptist, Fra Carnavale's The Ideal City, Heemskerck's Panorama with the Adduction of Helen Amidst the Wonders of the Ancient World, Bernini's bozzetto of Risen Christ, El Greco's Receiving the Stigmata, Tiepolo's Scipio Africanus Freeing Massiva, Veronese's Portrait of Countess Livia da Porto Thiene and her Daughter Porzia and the Madonna of the Candelabra from Raphael. The 18th and 19th century artworks contain both masters and impressionists that include Monet, Alfred Sisley, Edouard Manet, Sevres porcelain, art nouveau jewelry by Rene Laligque, jeweled objects from the House of Fabrege, precious jewels by Tiffany and Company, paintings by Delacroix, Ingres and Gericault, the Barbizon masters that included Rousseau and Millet, Gerome and Alma-Tadema.

    USS Constellation
    USS Constellation Baltimore, MarylandThe USS Constellation was built in 1854 as a sloop-of-war and the second vessel to carry that glorious name, located in the Baltimore, Maryland harbor, after being disassembled in the Gosport Navy Yard in Norfolk, Virginia and then rebuilt in the same yard using some of the materials it lacked from the frigate. It is one of the last sail-only warships that was designed and constructed by the US Navy. It was launched in 1854 and commissioned in 1855 with Captain Charles H. Bell in command. During the years of 1855 to 1858, the sloop would be used in the Mediterranean squadron as a diplomatic ship, and from 1859 to 1861, she would become the flagship of the US African squadron that disrupted the slave trade by interdicting three ships and releasing the slaves that had been imprisoned. She would spend the majority of the war in the Med fleet, deterring Confederate cruisers and commerce raiders in the Mediterranean Sea. Once the Civil War ended, she would carry famine relief stores to Ireland and many exhibits to the Paris Exposition Universelle of 1878, as well as becoming a floating naval barracks for some time. The ship would be used for practice for the Naval academy midshipmen and then become a training ship for the naval training center in Newport, Rhode Island in 1894 where the vessel would help train over 60,000 recruits during WWI. The Constellation would be decommissioned in 1940 as a national symbol by President Franklin Roosevelt, and in WWII, she would be used as a relief flagship for the Atlantic fleet, although she became the flagship for Admiral Ernest J. King and Vice-Admiral Royal E. Ingersoll during the first six months or that war. In 1955, she would be decommissioned again and this time, stricken from the naval vessel register within six months. She would be taken to her permanent berth, Constellation Dock, Inner Harbor at Pier 1, Baltimore, Maryland and become a National Historic Landmark in 1963. She is now, the last surviving American Civil War era naval vessel and one of the last sail-powered warships constructed by the US Navy. By 1994, she would be deemed an unsafe ship and towed to drydock at Fort McHenry in 1996, with her receiving a marvelous $9 million restoration and rejuvenation that was finished by 1999. She would take her first voyage out of the inner harbor in October, 2004, heading to the US Naval Academy in Annapolis taking six days to complete. Today, there are wonderful and exciting tours available with almost the entire ship being able to be seen, with about half the lines left. Every day a cannon is fired, and tour groups can take part in various demonstrations like the turning the yards. She is now part of the Historic Ships in Baltimore that also operates the Coast Guard cutter USCGC Taney (WHEC-37) the Seven Foot Knoll light, the lightship Chesapeake and the WWII era submarine USS Torsk (SS-423). Helping to make the ship even more famous and spoken of, she would become the target of a great controversy that suggested the ship was the original frigate, just rebuilt from the keel up with many parts used from the old frigate, but after considerable researching and looking over many documents, it was determined that the sloop was indeed a new ship, different from the old frigate and thus the controversy was settled.

Dollar Rent-A-Car Hanover

When you want the most cheap locations and the most reliable vehicle, use Dollar Rent-A-Car.  You know that you will get the best deal on a new quality vehicle when you use a company that has a name like Dollar.  And Dollar has more cheap locations across the nation today.
Dollar Cheap Locations

Baltimore Intl. Apt. Dollar Car Rental - 7426 New Ridge Rd.

    Baltimore Museum of ArtBaltimore Museum of Art Baltimore, Maryland
    The Baltimore Museum of Art in Baltimore, Maryland opened in 1914, constructed in the Roman Temple style and home to a world renown collection of 19th century contemporary and modern artworks. The museum started out with merely a single painting, and today, contains over 90,000 works that include the biggest holdings of works by Henri Matisse in the world. Sitting between the Charles Village and Remington neighborhoods, it is adjacent to the Homewood campus of the Johns Hopkins University, although it is still an independent facility. One of the featured exhibitions is the Cone Collection that includes works by Renoir, Matisse, van Gogh, Picasso, Gauguin, Cezanne, Degas, and Manet; that had been collected by the Cone sisters, Claribel and Etta. This museum is home to Gertrude's Restaurant, the fine dining establishment that is owned and operated by chef John Shields. A large fire would destroy a big part of the heart of the city in 1904, and the city helped development a master plan for the city's future growth, development and recovery. That group, called a congress, was headed by Dr. A. R. L. Dohme, and they discovered that one of the biggest defiencies of the city was that it lacked a major art museum and their decisions led to the creation of an 18 member committee on the art museum headed by art dealer and industrialist Henry H. Wiegand. Ten years later, the founders would incorporate, in 1914, acquiring William-Sergeant Kendall's painting called, "Mischief", that had been donated by Dr. Dohme. Although the collection didn't have a home as of then, it would be housed in the Peabody Institute until a permanent home could be located. They did try to interest Henry Walters, who had just opened his Italianate palazzo that he had constructed for his artworks, but he refused and the city was forced to plan a permanent structure for its growing collection. In 1916, they bought a structure in the southwest corner of Charles and Biddle Streets and even went so far as to hire an architect to rebuild it to their specifications, but it never came to fruition. In 1915, they had decided to park it permanently in the Wyman Park area and by 1917, they had gotten a promise from Johns Hopkins for the land that it now occupies. In 1922, the collections would be moved temporarily to the Garrett House, that had been offered by Miss M. Cary as a home for the marvelous collections and a meeting place for the board. The Garrett house had been acquired by a group of art enthusiasts that purchased that property so that the collections could be kept intact, although it move into its permanent home in 1929. The designer of that new museum was John Russell Pope, and the cornerstone laid in 1927, with three floors and numerous rooms that were copied from other famous houses in the region. The construction phase would have some controversy as to its location, the cost and the quality of craftsmanship, even though it would open on time. The first visitors were greeted by Rodin's Thinker in the sculpture court and the majority of the exhibits had pieces lent to the museum for their grand opening with an average of 584 visitors coming here during its two months. The library, sitting on the first floor, had been equipped to hold several thousands of books, reading tables and chairs, with the library being moved to the third floor during 1984. Quite a few of the original items lent to the museum so that it could open would end up in its collections, with many generous donors coming forth. The magnificent collections would enjoy three distinct growth periods that would happen during the 1950s and included the Woodward Wing in 1956, the Saidie A. May wing in 1950, and the Cone wing in 1957; with all the additions designed by local architects Wrenn, Lewis and Jencks that were able to harmonize the new additions with the original Pope structure. Collections include the African art section, the American art section, Antioch mosaics, art of the Ancient Americas, Asian art, Art of the Pacific Islands, European art and the Cone collection.

    Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum
    Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum Baltimore, MarylandThe Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum is located in Baltimore, Maryland in a row house that had been leased by his grandfather, Pius Schamberger, who had been an upholsterer. The Babe was born George Herman Ruth on February 6, 1895 at 216 Emory Street that is just a long ball from Oriole Park in Camden Yards. As the 1960s came and started to end, with the rush to attend the infamous scenario at Woodstock, New York, the property and the three row houses next to his, had fallen into such bad disrepair that the city planned on taking them down. Hirsh Goldberg, press secretary for Mayor Theodore McKeldin, began a successful campaign to save and remodel the house so that it could open as a national shrine in 1974. The Babe Ruth Foundation was then formed to take care of the management and other needs, helping the Babe's widow, Claire, his two daughters, Julia and Dorothy, as well as his sister, Mamie, who was also born in the house; install many relics and mementos. By 1983, the museum had expanded enough to become the official museum of the Baltimore Orioles, the team that had signed Ruth originally. It was at that point that the foundation formally started operating the Babe Ruth museum, and in 1985, the mayor, William Donald Schaefer made the museum the official archives of the Baltimore Colts, as they had left the year before to go to Indianapolis. When Orioles park opened in Camden Yards in 1992, the attendance would climb to more than 60,000 visitors being welcomed here each year, and it wouldn't be long before the board realized that the venue was way too small to handle such crowds and the large number of exhibits that had grown there. The other museums and their relics would be moved to Camden Yards in 2005 at the Camden station, while the Ruth museum reverted to its former mission of showcasing only Ruth's accomplishments and memorabilia.  Some of the outstanding exhibits housed here include; the Babe batted here, the Ruthian Record, Babe: Father, Husband and Friend, 500 Home Run Club, the Historic house and Playing the Babe, although they have continuously failed since the Babe was one of a kind, never to be matched or equaled no matter how history, baseball, games per season or even drugs might attempt to change that.

National Rental Cars Hanover

National Car Rentals will get you on the road quickly and without any hassles.  National's friendly staff and quality cars selection will make sure your trip or vacation is more enjoyable.   National Car Rental  gives you the BIGGEST savings online and around the country.
National Savings.

Baltimore Apt. National Car Rental 
- 7434 New Ridge Rd.

May 12, 2011