Car Rentals

 Car Rentals Palatine

Discount Car Rentals in Palatine

Alamo Car Rentals Palatine

Get the BEST discounts and help for you and your family from Alamo Rental Cars on your next vacation.  Alamo will get you the best deals in the car rental business. Alamo is home of the BIG discounts.
Alamo Discounts
Alamo discounts 

Chicago O'Hare Apt. Alamo Car Rentals
 560 Bessie Coleman

Alamo Rental Cars Chicago Midway Apt. - 4625 W. 55th St.
Naperville Alamo Car Rental - 1160 E. Ogden Ave.
Alamo Rental Car Chicago - 203 N. LaSalle

Things to do in Palatine

    Art Institute of Chicago Art Institute of Chicago Chicago, Illinois
    The Art Institute of Chicago has grown so much in the past one hundred and fifty years that it is now one of the finest encyclopedic fine art museums in the world, located in Chicago's Grant Park; housing one of the world's best collections of impressionist and post-impressionist artworks as part of its permanent collections, with diverse collections that include Asian art, modern and contemporary art, American art, European and American decorative arts and old masters. It is now situated in the Chicago Landmark Historic Michigan Boulevard District, and is affiliated with the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Housing a million square feet of space, it is the second biggest art museum in the nation, behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. It began, just after the Civil War ended, when a group of 35 artists founded the Chicago Academy of Design in a small studio on Dearborn Street, desiring to open a free school with its own art gallery, somewhat modeled after the European art academies, like the Royal Academy. It was given a charter in 1867, with classes beginning in 1868, meeting daily at a cost of $10 per month, with such a marvelous success that it was able to construct a new building for the school, which would be a five story stone structure on West Adams Street that opened in 1870. Unfortunately, the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 would destroy the school and the academy would be thrust into dire straits and a large debt. Many of its members would try in vain to make deals with the local businessmen, since it was in debt to the tune of $10,000 by 1878, and the majority of the group would finally throw in the towel and begin a new organization in 1879, calling it the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts; and luckily, the Chicago Academy of Design went belly up about that time, which allowed the new group to purchase its assets at auction. The academy would change its name in 1882, to the Art Institute of Chicago, and purchased a lot on the corner of Michigan Avenue for $45,000, with the lot's building leased out and the institute had room to construct a new structure behind it to house the school. When the announcement for the World's Columbian Exposition became known, the institute pushed for a structure on the lakefront to be completed before the exposition's date of 1892-3, for the fair, but it would be used by them afterwards. The city accepted and the structure completed in time for the expo's second year, with the institute moving into the new building in 1893. During the period between 1900 and 1960 the school was able to offer the Logan Medal of the Arts, in association with the Logan family that had members on the board; which would become one of the most distinguished awards given to artists in this country. During the early 1980s, James N. Wood, the new director, would begin a new expansion of its collections and would oversee a large renovation and expansion project for their facilities, with the New York Times stating that the museum had become one of the most respected leaders in fine art in the nation. Wood would host major exhibitions of works by such famous artists as Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet and Paul Gauguin that would set attendance records for the museum; until he retired in 2004. The institute would start a new wing construction in 2006, that sat on the southwest corner of Columbus and Monroe, and designed by the Pritzker Prize winning architect, Renzo Piano, which was completed and opened in 2009. That additional 264,000 square feet increased the size of the museum to the second biggest in the nation. That wing contains the museum's world famous collections of 20th and 21st century art, especially the modern European contemporary art, architecture and design, photography, paintings and sculptures. The institute collections spans over 5000 years of human expression from cultures around the world, with over 260,000 works of art, that begin with the Japanese prints to the modern American artworks. Its collections include over 30 paintings by Monet, numerous works by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Henri Matisse, Paul Cezanne, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Georges Seurat, Gustave Caillbotte, Grant Wood, Mary Cassatt, Vincent van Gogh and Edward Hopper. This fabulous museum has so many beautiful works that it would behoove you to visit and study the beauty that lies beneath the paints, colors and canvases; to the idea behind the image, and the outstanding artist that created it. Other famous artists included in the collections include Frank Lloyd Wright, Charles and Ray Eames, Archibald John Motley, Jr., Richmond Barthe, Jacob Lawrence, Edward L. Kemeys, Louis Sullivan, Pablo Picasso, Rene Magritte, Henri Matisse, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Bruce Goff, El Greco, Antoine Watteau, Edouard Manet, Edgar Degas and Juan Gris.

Budget rent a car Palatine

Budget Rent-A-Car  is one of the best rental car businesses in the industry.  Budget has the best customer service staff in the car rental business that are friendly and courteous.  Budget offers their customers printable coupons that SAVE big money.
Budget Printable Coupons

O'Hare Apt. Budget Car Rentals - 10000 Bessie Coleman Dr. 
Budget Car Rental Hoffman Estates - 805 W. Higgins Rd.
Libertyville Budget Rental Cars
- 450 S. Milwaukee Ave.
Budget Car Rentals Addison - 159 S. Rohlwing Rd. 

    The Grove
    The Grove Glenview, IllinoisThe Grove is situated on 123 acres of ecologically diverse prairie grove land that has been preserved and maintained by the Glenview Park District in Glenview, Illinois, former home to the visionary horticulturist and educator, Dr. John Kennicott, who came with his family to this area in 1836 from New Orleans. This is the area that the doctor's son, Robert, would develop his intense love for nature, that eventually led him to exhibit his marvelous plant and animal specimen collections to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. He would begin the Chicago Academy of Sciences and the exploration of Russian America that would lead to the buying of the territory of Alaska. It would be made a National Historic Landmark in 1976, as well as being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. You can tour the lovely 1856 gothic revival house that the doctor had constructed and enjoy many pioneering demonstrations by the authentic log cabin. You can learn how Pottawatomie lived in the Native American longhouses and become a part of the class that is held in a copy of the original Grove one-room school house. Their interpretive center is the perfect place to learn more about the natural history, native plants and animals, as well as learning more about the balance of wetland ecosystems in the wetland greenhouse. The interpretive center located there has a marvelous natural science classroom with nature videos, self-guided activities, trail walks, science equipment and environmental exhibits. One of the fascinating new books just installed at the Grove store is called A Death Decoded: Robert Kennicott and the Alaska Telegraph, which finally brings some closure to the mystery that has gripped the area and family for more than 150 years. Sandra Schlachtmeyer, the author, used diaries, reports and the original letters to help decipher this age old mystery, with an autopsy that was performed on Kennicott in 2001. It offers an answer as to why a 30 year old, healthful Chicago scientist would die so young during an expedition to bring the telegraph to that faraway state. Check it out when you visit and get all the details. The Grove has miles of interesting and exciting trails that encompass the property, through mature oak trees into wetlands and pools, as well as learning about the Native Americans that lived here centuries ago, and the settlers that soon followed.

    The Newberry Library
    The Newberry Library Chicago, IllinoisThe Newberry Library in Chicago, Illinois is a privately owned independent research library for the social sciences and humanities that is open to the public, whose collections entail modern times in North America, Western civilization from the latter Middle Ages to the last part of the Napoleonic period in Europe and the age of European exploration to the period of revolution in Latin America. Although there are specific areas of the collections that cover various diverse topics like the history of printing and North American Indians, the library does contain a big collection of printed materials, manuscripts, maps and sheet music. The library was initiated by a wonderful donation by the Walter Loomis Newberry family, of $2.15 million, who had been one of the city's early business leaders and resident that was involved in real estate, shipping, banking and various different commercial ventures and died at sea in 1868. He had been going to France, when he passed, and his widow, Julia Butler Newberry passed in 1885. The trustees of his estate started the magnificent library in 1887, and during its early years would be located in three temporary locations. Its first librarian, William Frederick Poole, would become the instigation behind the library's rare book collection and its noncirculating research, along with coming up the original design of the structure that would house it all. The current structure was designed by Poole and architect Henry Ives Cobb and opened in 1893 just across from Washington Square. The outstanding library contains over half a million maps, 5 million pages of manuscripts and over 1.5 million books, with strengths in genealogy, the history of printing, the history of the city of Chicago, railroad archives, the European renaissance, Midwestern authors' manuscripts, American Indians, cartography and Luso-Brazilian history. Some of the most significant holdings include Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Federalist Papers, the sole copy in existence of the Popul Vuh, and Shakespeare's First Folio; as well as some excellent works by Ben Hect, Mike Royko and Elmo Scott Watson. This marvelous library also hosts numerous seminars, lectures, public programming that pertains to their outstanding collections, classes, teacher programs and concerts.

Enterprise rent- a- car Palatine

BIG savings are waiting at Enterprise Rent-A-Car for your next vacation or trip.  Enterprise will give you the best selection of new quality cars to choose from and the best staff to help you with that decision.  Check out Enterprise today and see the HUGE savings. Enterprise Savings

Arlington Heights Enterprise Rental Car
 777 W. Dundee Rd.

Enterprise Car Rental Palatine -  20370 Rand Rd. Ste. 106
Arlington Heights Enterprise Rental Car
 215 S. Arlington Heights Rd.

Enterprise Car Rental Prospect Heights -  99 E. Palatine Rd.

Local Restaurants in Palatine

    Durty Nellie's
    Entrees; corned beef bowl is a big bowl brimming with house cooked corned beef, red potatoes, cabbage; fish and chips is crispy battered North Atlantic pollock with house cooked chips on platter with Cole slaw & onion straws; 8oz. filet mignon center cut topped with onion straws & served with baked potato & veggie; chicken or beef pot pie is seasoned beef or pulled chicken & garden veggies in house prepped sauce & topped with pastry puff; sweet potato crusted salmon 8oz. Chilean filet crusted, side salad & rice pilaf; beef stroganoff is chunks of tender beef smothered in sour cream gravy over rice pilaf; three amigos tacos with Spanish rice, refried beans, pico de gallo & sour cream; jambalaya is chicken, andouille, shrimp & peppers in seasoned rice; 10oz. angus NY steak maitre' D is char grilled topped with herbed butter, grilled veggies & garlic mashed; slammin mango salmon is 8oz. Chilean filet grilled & finished with tasty mango cilantro relish, side salad & rice pilaf; beefy shish ka-bobs is 2 meaty skewers with tenderloin tips, peppers, onion & mushroom over rice pilaf with side brown gravy; mamas meatloaf is hand packed ground beef smothered in house BBQ sauce with mashed potatoes & corn, onion straws; pan-fried tilapia picatta is lightly dusted & sautéed with mushrooms, capers, white wine & lemon, rice pilaf & California veggies; bourbon salmon is 8oz. Chilean filet pan roasted & glazed with brown sugar & bourbon, fresh veggies & mashed potatoes; oink & cluck combo is half slab of BBQ ribs with 1/4 BBQ chicken on platter with corn & mashed potatoes; pasta of the week; Jameson chicken is pounded breast coated in Dusseldorf mustard, breaded & sautéed with garlic mashed potatoes, wilted spinach & Jameson cream sauce.

    Lamplighter Grille
    Entrees; served with choice of baked potato, waffle fries or house thin cut fries, seasonal veggies; KC strip steak is 12oz. bone-in certified angus beef charbroiled your way; baby back ribs is full pound of baby back ribs with house dry rubbed seasonings topped with Cattlemen's Original BBQ sauce & finished on charbroiled; tilapia is big roasted garlic & herb crusted tilapia fillet; lasagna is housemade served with garlic bread & choice of soup or salad; shrimp skewer is 6 big shrimp grilled with garlic & herbs.


Beef Pot Pie Durty Nellie's Palatine, Illinois


Mango Salmon Durty Nellie's Palatine, Illinois




Baby Back Ribs Lamplighter Grill Palatine, Illinois


Hertz Car Rental Palatine and Hertz Rental Cars have teamed up to give their customers more cheap locations across the nation.  Hertz has the most cheap locations in America today.
Hertz Cheap Locations

Hertz Rental Cars Palatine- 2095 N. Rand Rd.
Schaumburg Hertz Car Rental - 780 W. Golf Rd.
Hertz Rental Car Schaumburg- 50 N. Martingale
Mt. Prospect Hertz Car Rental - 905 E. Rand Rd. Ste. 300

    Shedd Aquarium Shedds Aquarium Chicago, Illinois
    The John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Illinois is an indoor public aquarium that was opened to the public in 1930 and today houses more than 25,000 fish, at one time, the biggest indoor aquarium in the world containing 5 million gallons of water. It was the first inland aquarium that housed a saltwater fish collection, and it is encompassed by the Museum Campus Chicago, that it shares with the Field Museum of Natural History and the Adler Planetarium. The aquarium welcomes about 2 million visitors every year, being the most visited in the nation during 2005 and 2007; actually surpassing the Field museum as the most favorite cultural destination in the city. There are 1500 species of snakes, fish, amphibians, marine mammals, birds and insects. It has garnered awards for the best exhibit from the AZA for the Seahorse Symphony in 1999, the Amazon Rising in 2001 and the Wild Reef in 2004; helping it become even more noticed and well known. The aquarium was the gift of retail giant, John G. Shedd, a former protégé of Marshall Field who had been the benefactor of the Field Museum that is located adjacent to it, to the city, even though he would live long enough to see the initial drawings of the architect, it would be his widow, Mary R. Shedd who would cut the ribbon at the opening ceremonies. The aquarium opened in 1930 as the first inland indoor aquarium in the world, bringing the fish and seawater by a custom-made railroad car, the Nautilus, which lasted until 1959. That train would make eight round trips with 20 cars filled to the brim, between Key West and Chicago, bringing in 1 million gallons of seawater for the saltwater exhibits. The Century of Progress, the city's second time hosting the world's fair, in 1933, and since it was situated just north of the fairgrounds, it would be exposed to a huge international crowd of people. The aquarium would add one of its most favorite displays in 1971, the 90,000 gallon replica of a Caribbean coral reef, and during that same year, it would get its first research ship, the 75 foot vessel for exploring the Caribbean that had been complemented by a crew that would do the field research and collection of specimens. It would be replace in 1985 with the current vessel, named the Coral Reef II. The Shedd would open a new exhibit called Oceanairum, a huge addition to the aquarium that highlighted many marine mammals and included beluga whales and Pacific white-sided dolphins. Its main tank held 3 million gallons of water which would make it the biggest indoor marine mammal facility in the world. There are many sea otters, which had been rescued from the Valdez Exxon oil spill in 1989, with the newest exhibit, the Wild Reef opening in 2003. This exhibit is situated two levels below the main structure and contains a 750,000 gallon wild reef display that has replicated a Philippine coral reef and is copied from the Apo Island marine reserve. It houses a collection of sharks, living coral and many species of rays and fish, with the main attraction being the 400,000 gallon shark exhibit with its 12 foot high windows that are curved and offer a diver's-eye view for the crowds. The five permanent displays at the Shedd include; Waters of the World, Amazon Rising, Wild Reef, Caribbean Reef and the Oceanarium; with the temporary exhibits housing the Komodo King and Lizards, featuring a Komodo dragon called Faust.

    Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows
    Smith Museum of Stained Glass Window Chicago, Illinois
    The Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows in Chicago, Illinois, is a permanent exhibition that opened in 2000 at the Chicago's Navy Pier entertainment complex, and is the first American museum that is totally devoted to showcasing the art of the stained glass window, named after the well known city collectors of Maureen and E. B. Smith, housing more than 150 beautiful works that are shown in four galleries; contemporary, Victorian, modern and prairie. While most of the windows came from Chicago area structures, there are many famous artists represented and include; Louis Comfort Tiffany, John LaFarge, Adolfas Velska and Ed Paschke; and it does contain the biggest collection of Tiffany windows in the world. It contains secular works, unique windows, religious themed windows and a stained glass portrait of basketball player, Michael Jordan; as well as a magnificent window created from glass pop bottles. The museum is situated in an area of boutiques, theaters, restaurants and shops, with free admission and the majority of the windows lit up with artificial lighting to showcase its magnificent colors and exquisite detailing. Every window is protected by bullet proof glass, visitors are encouraged to get as close as they want, and food is allowed inside.

avis discount rental car Palatine

On your next visit to Palatine, Avis Rental Cars will make your visit the best.   Avis Rental Cars will help you choose the best vehicle for your trip and our friendly staff will help.  Get the BIGGEST discounts at Avis Rental Cars.  Avis has the BEST discounts online right now.
Avis Discounts.
Avis Discounts

Chicago O'Hare Intl. Apt. Avis Car Rental
 10000 Bessie Coleman Dr.

Avis Car Rental Schaumburg
- 1800 E. Golf Rd.
Lake Zurich Avis Rental Cars
- 495 S. Rand Rd.
Avis Car Rental Elk Grove Village - 2420 Landmeier Rd.

    Long Grove Historical SocietyLong Grove Historical Society Long Grove, Illinois
    The Long Grove Historical Society in Long Grove, Illinois was started in 1974 so that it could accept the Drexler Tavern as a gift, and in a joint venture with the village board relocated the structure to a plot of land behind the Kildeer Countryside School, and renamed it Village Hall. Two other structures have been relocated there as well, a one-room schoolhouse named the Archer School and the Ruth barn that had been constructed during the mid-1800s. The barn and school have become the nucleus of their program that is done every year for the local schools, providing these youngsters with the opportunity to experience first hand what the life of other children and folks were during that period in Long Grove. Eventually, a mid-1800s farm house would be relocated as well, and now houses the archives of the society, numerous period restored rooms and a meeting hall. Besides maintaining the numerous properties, and various educational projects, the society also conducts a number of historical programs for the local citizens; existing by donations and fundraising alone. One of the most interesting books you could ever need to enjoy about the history and citizenry of the area has been compiled in a book entitled, In Retrospect: Stories of Early Long Grove and Lake County, Illinois, which contains 50 wonderful stories and 30 recently restored photographs. Another exciting story that is being dramatized in February, 2011, is the story of Victoria Woodhull, that had become somewhat of a controversy during the late 19th century and early 20th century. Friends called her the first woman to ever run for the presidency, while her enemies called her the first prostitute to run for president, and still others would refer to her as, "Mrs. Satan". Victoria lived from 1838 until 1927, and was an American suffragette that was described by gilded age newspapers as a leader of the American women's suffrage movement during the 19th century, rising as a very colorful character and notorious symbol for the rights of women, spiritualism and free love, fighting for labor reforms and against corruption. She became the most famous woman in the nation during 1872 as she declared her candidacy and ran for President of the United States. Victoria has been called a feminist, spiritualist, social freedom advocate and free love advocate, she would become the first woman stockbroker and eventually found "not guilty" in a federal trial about obscenity. She certainly wasn't your average everyday woman, and some, if not many, called her not a lady at all. The free program will held on February 16th, 2011, so you have a few weeks to get there and get ready to learn more and hear more about this unusual and famous woman. If you have time to check out her story on the internet, you will be quite surprised and interested in this wonderful woman that fought for many of the workplace rules that we have in place today, as well as many others that are still very controversial.

    Raupp Memorial Museum
    Raupp Memorial Museum Buffalo Grove, IllinoisThe Raupp Memorial Museum in Buffalo Grove, Illinois is the organization that has chronicled the history of this small community outside Chicago and a part of the Buffalo Grove Park district; as well as an award-winning participant in the Illinois Association of Museums. The town started out as a farming community with the years passing by and many of the farmers selling off their properties to area developers; which assisted the town to grow into a large suburban area. Philip, John and Carl Raupp were three such brothers of a founding family of farmers that would donate three acres of land and their farmhouse to the village, which eventually would be transferred to the park district on the condition that it would be used either for a library or museum. The farmhouse had been decided as the location of the museum until a fire damaged it severely and made it quite unsuitable for a museum locale. Another local builder would then donate his structure that could be moved to the three acre site, and with this new structure, the Raupp Memorial Museum would open in 1979. It would enjoy a few renovations that included the complete restoration of two galleries. The museum houses a number of educational programs for schools and scouting organizations that pertain to the exhibits which include; pioneer life, Potawatomi Indians, archaeology and history about various topics, with more than 3000 local history relics showcased in their three galleries. The main gallery contains the chronological social history of the village that begins in the 1830s, and follows the stories of the folks that lived here; the founding farm families and Potawatomi. It also highlights the developments of the village and its eventual growth during the 20th century. The second gallery contains a town square mock up with numerous storefronts and locales that had been quite common in the village during the turn-of-the-century; including a walk-in schoolhouse, pharmacy and saloon. The third gallery contains temporary displays that are changed at least three times a year, with a few of the past displays showcasing painters highlights and exploration of the modern office.

Thrifty Car Rental Palatine

  Thrifty Car Rental has been a staple in the car rental business for many years.  Our customers will get the biggest selection of new quality cars to choose from and the friendliest customer service.  Thrifty Rental Car has more cheap locations around the country. Thrifty Cheap Locations

Chicago O'Hare Apt. Thrifty Rental Cars
 3901 N. Mannheim Rd.

Thrifty Car Rental Midway Apt.- 5700 S. Cicero Ave.

    Museum of Science and Industry
    Museum of Science & Industry Chicago, IllinoisThe Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) in Chicago, Illinois is located in Jackson Park in the Hyde Park neighborhood of the city, next to Lake Michigan that held the former Palace of Fine Arts that was constructed for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It would be funded at the start by Sears, Roebuck and Company president and philanthropist, Julius Rosenwald, opening in 1933 in the Century of Progress Exposition that would be the second held in the city. Today, it is the biggest science museum in the western hemisphere; with examples like the magnificent working coal mine housed inside, a 3500 square foot model railroad, a NASA spacecraft used for the Apollo * mission, a German submarine that had been captured during WWII called U-505, and the first diesel-powered streamlined stainless-steel passenger train named the Pioneer Zephyr. It has become the third biggest cultural destination in the city. The palace was designed by Charles B. Atwood for the 1893 expo, and quite different than the other white city structures, it would be constructed with a brick substructure underneath a plaster facade. Once the world's fair was finished, the building would house the Columbian Museum that slowly evolved into the Field Museum of Natural History, until it opened a new building close to downtown Chicago in 1920 and the other palace left empty. Eventually it would become the MSI and as the years passed, it would acquire a magnificent collection, so that today, it contains more than 2000 exhibits, that are showcased in 75 halls. It houses numerous major permanent exhibits like the ones mentioned above, including the Take Flight exhibit that has replicated a flight from San Francisco to Chicago that uses an authentic Boeing 727 jet that had been donated by United Airlines; the Transportation zone that contains exhibits about air and land transportation systems, including the 999 Empire State Express steam locomotive, the first vehicle in this nation to ever reach speeds of 100 miles an hour and silent film star and stock market investor, Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle. The transportation zone also houses two WWII warplanes that were donated by the British government, a Supermarine Spitfire, a JU 87 R-2Trop Stuka divebomber that is only one of the two surviving planes of its kind in the world, numerous US Navy warship models, and a flight simulator for the new F-35 Lightning II. Numerous exhibits are interactive and include the Genetics: Decoding Life exhibit that looks at how genetics can affect animal and human development, the Toymaker 3000 that is a working assembly line that offers visitors the opportunity to order a toy top and see how it is made, and the Fab Lab MSI that is an interactive laboratory that encourages visitors to build anything that they choose. Last March, 2010, the Science Storms exhibit opened in the Allstate Court and highlights a 40 foot water vapor tornado, heliostat system, tsunami tank, authentic Wimshurst machine that had been constructed by James Wimshurst during the late 19th century and the Tesla coil. Some of the other outstanding exhibits include; the Nickelodeon cinema, Dr. John B. Murphy's office, Yesterday's Mainstreet that is a replicated Chicago street that existed in the early 20th century that has a cobblestone road, numerous shops, fire hydrants and old-fashioned lighting fixtures, Berghoff's restaurant, Walgreen's Drug Company, Jewel Tea Company grocery, law office, Chicago post office, Lytton's clothing store, Commonwealth Edison, Chas. A. Stevens & Co. and the Gossard Corset shop.

    Chicago Children's Museum
    Chicago Children's Museum Chicago, IllinoisThe Chicago Children's Museum can be found at the NavyPier in Chicago, Illinois, started in 1982 by the Junior League of Chicago that was responding to the city's cutbacks in their public school system and had been housed in two hallways of the Chicago Public Library. But because of the large crowds that began attending it would provide trunk shows and traveling exhibitions, moving around the city a few times over the initial years as it continued to look for a permanent home. In 1995, it felt that it had found a home at the NavyPier when it would re-open as an anchor tenant, that contained 57,000 square feet of space and three floors of educational displays, special events and public programming. Since moving to the pier area, it has become the fourth biggest children's museum in the nation, welcoming half a million visitors every year. It does have an admissions charge, however, children under the age of 15 are always free, as is the first Sunday of each month for everyone. The pier location would be a great home for the museum for over a decade, but then in 2006, it announced plans that it would have to expand more and move into another location at the Daily Bicentennial Plaza in Grant Park that would more than double its size and offer greater community access. The move idea did get a lot of local support, including Mayor Richard Daley, although there has been some opposition from other parties that feel the museum's move would intrude upon the wide open spaces of the park and also set a precedent for other groups like it moving into the park.

Dollar Rent-A-Car Palatine

When you want the BEST savings and the most reliable vehicle, use Dollar Rent-A-Car.  You know that you will get the best deal on a new quality vehicle when you use a company that has a name like Dollar. Dollar offers their customers the BIGGEST savings online.
Dollar Savings

Chicago O'Hare Intl. Apt. Dollar Car Rental
 10000 Bessie Coleman Dr.

Dollar Rental Car Midway Apt. - Midway Regional Apt.

    The Field MuseumField Museum Chicago, Illinois
    The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois is situated on Lake Shore Drive adjacent to Lake Michigan and part of a scenic complex called the Museum Campus Chicago; housing more than 21 million specimens, with just a small part being exhibited at any one given time. Some of the unique and priceless exhibits include; a huge collection of Native American relics, Sue, the biggest and most complete Tyrannosaurus in the world, a huge collection of dinosaurs in the Evolving Planet exhibit, an expansive set of human cultural anthropology displays that include relics from Tibet, the Pacific Northwest, the Pacific Islands and Egypt and a big and diverse taxidermy collection that highlights numerous big animals that includes two prized African elephants and the infamous lions of Tsavo, that were showcased in the 1996 movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. The museum began in 1893 as the Columbian Museum of Chicago with a specific purpose of accumulating and disseminating knowledge, as well as the preservation and exhibition of relics that pertain to history, art, archaeology and science. It had been housed in the famous Palace of Fine Arts that had been constructed for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, and in 1905, its name would become the Field Museum of Natural History to give honor to the first significant benefactor, Marshall Field, in hopes of better reflecting it concentration on natural history. It would move in 1921 to its current location on Chicago Park district property close to downtown, becoming a part of the lakefront museum campus that includes the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. In 2006, it would become the main destination for cultural visitors to the city but then lost it to the Shedd in 2007. Its library would be organized in 1893 with collections that have become an essential resource for the museum's research, display development and educational programs. The Main Research Collections contains 275,000 volumes that pertain to environmental and evolutionary biology, biological systematics, museology, anthropology, botany, archaeology, geology and other related subjects. Some of the most significant exhibits include the Ayer Collection that contains the private collection of Edward E. Ayer, the first president of the museum, but mainly ornithological with all the major works in the history of ornithology and rich in color-illustrated works and the Laufer Collection that was the working collection of Dr., Berthold Laufer, the nation's first sinologist and curator of anthropology until his passing in 1934. It houses about 7000 volumes written in Tibetan, Japanese and Chinese, as well as many western languages that involve religion, archaeology, travel, science and anthropology. Another is the photo archives that contain more than 250,000 images that pertain to the subjects of zoology, geology, anthropology and botany. The museum unveiled Sue, in 2000, the most complete and well-preserved t-rex fossil that has ever been discovered, standing 42 feet tall, being 13 feet at the hips and about 67 million years old. It was named after the paleontologist that uncovered her, Sue Hendrickson; even though the fossil's sex isn't known, but since she had been named after Sue, it has become referred to as female. She has become a permanent fixture at the museum, standing so proudly and majestically on the main floor in the Stanley Field hall. Sue's skull was way to heavy to lift onto her fragile body of bones, so it sits in a case beside her on the second floor balcony about her skeleton. They have placed a copy of her head onto the body for the perfect appearance, and judging the rings on her bones, she is believed to have been just 29 when she died; with another t-rex called Jane, giving this state two significant tyrannosaurus rex fossils.  Some of the finest permanent exhibits found here include; the Regenstein laboratory, the Grainger Hall of Gems, McDonald's Fossil Prep Lab, the Underground Adventure, the DNA discovery center, Inside ancient Egypt, dioramas, Evolving Planet and the Ancient Americas.

    Oriental Institute Museum
    Oriental Institute Museum Chicago, IllinoisThe Oriental Institute (OI) in Chicago, Illinois, is the University of Chicago's archeology museum that began in 1919 and has become a research center for ancient Near Eastern studies started by James Henry Breasted that originally built up the collection of the Haskell Oriental Museum. James longed to begin a laboratory for the study of the rise and development of civilization that would be able to trace its origins from western civilization to the ancient Middle East. After WWI, he felt that the time was right and the political climate perfect for the concept, so he wrote to John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and proposed the idea that would eventually grow into the Oriental Institute. The institute was finally created in 1919, housed in a unique art-deco/gothic building located at the corner of University Avenue and 58th Street, designed by Mayers Murray & Phillip, with remodeling finished in 1930 and dedicated in 1931. Today, the museum houses relics from its digs in Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Syria and Israel, with significant works in the collection including the old Persian capital, a humungous 40 ton human-headed winged bull from Khorsabad, another huge statue of the King Tutankhamun, the famous Megiddo Ivories, many treasures from Persepolis, the capital of Sargon II and a collection of Luristan bronzes. As its name implies, it is an active research center for studies on the ancient Near East, with the museum's top floors housing classrooms and faculty offices and the gift shop, the Suq, that also sells textbooks for the University's classes on Near Eastern studies. Besides excavating many areas in the Fertile Crescent, its scholars made numerous contributions to our understanding of human civilizations and its origins. It would be Breasted, himself, that coined the phrase, Fertile Crescent, who many believe is one of the models for Indiana Jones, with other possible models from the museum including Robert Braidwood and Edward Chiera. Even with unlimited resources and likewise archaeological discoveries, to try and obtain a collection like the one in the OI, would be impossible since many of the countries of the Middle East have stopped foreign archeologists from coming in and making discoveries, allowing them to only take a part, less than half, of what they discover, which had been the typical case during the late 19th century and early 20th century, when the majority of the discoveries had been excavated, up until the 1930s, when these law changes were made.

National Rental Cars Palatine

National Car Rentals will get you on the road quickly and without any hassles.  National's friendly staff and quality cars selection will make sure your trip or vacation is more enjoyable.  Check out National's printable coupons today and SAVE more.
National Printable Coupons.

Chicago O'Hare Apt. National Car Rental 

 10000 Bessie Coleman Dr.

National Car Rental Naperville -  1160 E. Ogden Ave. #108
Chicago Midway Apt. National Car Rental -  4625 W. 55th St.
National Car Rental Chicago -  203 N. Lasalle

May 13, 2011