Car Rentals
Avis Car Rentals Budget Car Rentals Dollar Car Rentals Thrifty Car Rentals Enterprise Coupons Alamo Car Rentals

 Car Rentals Saint Louis

Dollar Car Rentals in Saint Louis

  • Chatillon-DeMenil MansionChatillon-DeMenil Mansion St. Louis, Missouri
    The Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion in St. Louis, Missouri is actually the results of two entirely different families that lived here and became part of the history of the great city. Henri Chatillon constructed the first part, a four room brick farmhouse in 1848, who was a guide and hunter for the American Fur Company of St. Louis during that decade. After leaving his traveling life, Henri would marry again, his second wife being Odile Delor Lux. Henri had been a guide for Francis Parkman, Jr., during the 1846 period, and Parkman is the author of the book called, "The Oregon Trail", a tale about his trip west from the starting point of St. Louis. Henri would later sell the house in 1856 to Dr. Nicolas N. DeMenil, a prominent physician and part owner of the first chain of drugstores in the city. Nicolas was a very rich Frenchman who had come to the city in 1834 and married Emilie Sophie Chouteau, a descendant of the city's founding family. They would use the house mainly as a summer retreat, and in 1861, hired an English architect by the name of Henry Pitcher so that he could add more rooms and change the charming farmhouse into a Greek Revival mansion. Once that was finished in 1863, the DeMenils moved into it full time. Three generations of that family would live in the house until 1929, and from that year until 1945, the mansion would be managed by caretakers, until Lee Hess purchased it in 1945 to start a tourist attraction involving the natural cave system that lies below the neighborhood. They would become known as the "Cherokee Caves" and would become very popular, although the house itself would deteriorate and by the early1960s, an interstate was planned which necessitated tearing down the historic mansion. Before that could happen, the Landmarks Association purchased the estate from the highway department, since it was one of the few styles of Greek Revival architecture still in the city. Using a $40,000 donation from GE, they bought the house and started refurbishing the house in the summer of 1964. The formal dedication was done in May of 1965, and the Chatillon-DeMenil Foundation took over management of the estate. The house remains as structurally sound as it did in 1929, with all the marble fireplaces, front hall parquet floor, ceiling medallions and front hall chandelier the originals. The vast majority of the furniture is dated between 1830 and 1880, with many original DeMenil relics remaining. The carpets, curtains and wallpapers have been reproduced from the first designs.  The interior of the mansion is elegant and richly decorated, with the Chouteau room running off the hall and had been a double parlor that was transformed into a marvelous 19th century ballroom. The room showcases the French influence with elaborate furnishings and paintings of the mansion, with matching marble mantels still in place that had been owned by the former doctor. The parlor was named after Madame Therese Bourgeio Chouteau, referred to as the "mother of St. Louis" and also the great grandmother of Mrs. DeMenil. The Madame's portrait is still sitting on an easel in one corner of the room. The square rosewood piano was built by Louis Merkel Company of St. Louis, and is one of the original pieces owned by DeMenil. There are two oil portraits painted by famous artist George Caleb Bingham, painted in 1837, and they are of Priestly Haggin McBride who had been the Secretary of State during 1829 to 1830, and a judge of the Supreme Court of Missouri from 1845 to 1849 and his wife, Mary Snell. There are two pairs of John Henry Belter type rosewood chairs, three small black chairs and a table of papier-mâché, a settee of Belter-type rosewood frame of New York cabinet maker, Alexander Roux from 1855, showcasing the Rococo Revival style. There is a pair of Dresden candelabra, that were gas, and formerly hung in another St. Louis house, a mirror that came here from the Filley Mansion in St. Louis and French needlepoint is inset in the broadloom carpet that sits in the room. 

Dollar Printable Coupons are SAVING their customers a lot of money. If you plan on spending some time on the road this summer, now is the best time to lock in a great rate. Dollar Coupons can easily be downloaded from your computer and printed.
 Dollar Car Rentals - Dollar Rent-A-Car reservations Saint Louis

St. Louis Int. Apt. Dollar Car Rental - 4358 Cypress Rd.

  • St. Louis MuseumSt. Louis Museum St. Louis, Missouri
    The Saint Louis Art Museum happens to be one of the premier art museums in the country, getting half a million visitors each year, with free admission by a subsidy from the ZMD. The museum sits in the Forest Park district in St. Louis, Missouri, in a beautiful building that was constructed in 1904 for the World's Fair, which was also called the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, and it was called the Palace of the Fine Arts, designed by architect Cass Gilbert who had been inspired by the Baths of Caracalla that was in Rome, Italy. Besides the permanent displays, there are changing exhibitions and installations. Included in this marvelous display is the Currents series that highlights the contemporary artists, and regular exhibits of new media art, works on paper and textiles. The museum started as the St. Louis School and Museum of Fine Arts, and was an independent entity that was located in the Washington University of St. Louis. It was housed in a building located downtown, but moved into the palace after the 1904 expo. It became separate from the university in 1909 and then renamed the City Art Museum of St. Louis, with an organizing board that would take control in 1912. In the 1950s, the museum added an auditorium for showing films, lectures and concerts. Hoping to assure the future of the museum, the Metropolitan Zoological Park and Museum District was formed in 1971. This in turn doubled the tax rate that was created by Halsey Cooley Ives in 1908 for supporting such institutions, and so the name was changed again, this time to the St. Louis Art Museum. With continuous donations for individuals and public organizations, the museum has been able to increase its collections of modern art, sculptures and paintings, as well as masterpieces from around the world. There are over 30,000 works of art from antiquity to the current times and are separated into eleven categories; modern, oceanic, African, contemporary, American, early European, ancient and Islamic, decorative arts and design, photographs, prints and drawings and pre-Columbian and Native American.  Some of the more notable pieces include paintings by Gaugin, van Gogh, Matisse, Monet and Picasso. In their 20th century German paintings they have the biggest collection of Max Beckmann in the world, with other works by George Caleb Bingham and Bartolomeo, the Egyptian mummy of Amen-Nestawy-Nakht, Turkish rugs, oceanic and pre-Columbian pieces that are some of the best in the world and many other relics and antiquities that are fantastic.

January 11, 2011