Car Rentals

 Enterprise Coupons Biloxi

Enterprise Car Rentals in Biloxi

BeauvoirBeauvoir Biloxi, Mississippi
Beauvoir is the post-war home of President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, and the historic house contains his Presidential library, which had been severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, even though it had survived a similar fate in 1969 from Hurricane Camille.  The estate is where Jefferson Davis would retire to, sitting on 608 acres at the time, but is only 52 acres today. Beauvoir means "beautiful to view" and since it sits right across the street from the Biloxi Beach, it is quite understandable why. The complex includes the Louisiana raised cottage style plantation house, the Jefferson Davis Library and Museum, the botanical garden, a modern gift shop, a former Confederate nursing home, a Confederate Soldier Museum, the historical Confederate cemetery where the Tomb of the Unknown Confederate Soldier rests and many outbuildings; but five of the seven were destroyed by Katrina and copies are in the planning stages to replace them. The house is encompassed by many magnolia trees, oaks and cedars, and had an orange grove located behind it, but that is gone now, although the Spanish moss hanging from many of the trees makes the place look older than it is. It faces the Gulf of Mexico and has the Oyster Bayou running behind the house, which had been connected to the Mississippi Sound, being fed by natural artesian springs that are located on the grounds nearby. The house was constructed by James Brown, a well known planter and entrepreneur, that arrived in 1848 and began the construction, which was finished in 1852. He sold the estate to Frank Johnston in 1873, and he would sell it to Sarah Anne Ellis Dorsey, who was a writer and intellectual from Natchez, Mississippi, and a loyal southern patriot. She would live in the house with her half-brother, Mortimer Dahlgren, and she would invite Jefferson Davis to stay at the plantation and write his memoirs, called the Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government. Jefferson would accept the proposal, and he moved into the library pavilion in 1877, with his wife, Varina, joining him later on. He agreed to buy the estate in 1879, for $5500, that was to be paid in three installments, however, Dorsey would pass on within six months, before the final two payments had be made, and she left the place to Davis. The Davis family moved into the main house with their daughter, Winnie, and Jefferson would live there until his passing in 1889. Varina stayed there for a short time so that she could write her own book, Jefferson Davis: A Memoir, and then she and her daughter would move to New York City in 1891.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car has more cheap locations in American than any other care rental company. The Enterprise website has all of the cheap locations information that you will need.
 Enterprise Biloxi

Enterprise Rental Car Biloxi 
11044 Auto Mall Pkwy.
Keesler AFB Enterprise Car Rental
 405 Meadows Dr. Bldg. 1510

Biloxi LighthouseBiloxi Lighthouse Biloxi, Mississippi
Biloxi Light is the unique lighthouse in Biloxi, Mississippi that is located next to the Mississippi Sound of the Gulf of Mexico, which has been taken care of by women lighthouse keepers for more years than any other lighthouse in the nation, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and then made a Mississippi Landmark in 1987. The lighthouse was built in 1848, and stood 45 feet tall, with nine display lamps and the first keeper was Marcellus J. Howard. In 1854, Mary Reynolds, with a big family of orphaned children would be the next keeper and she stayed on until the Civil War started, with the light being refitted in 1856. A hurricane arrived in 1860, and would destroy many lighthouses along the coast, but not the Biloxi lighthouse; which Mary would continue to keep the light working through the storm and perform all her duties faithfully. In another storm that same year, some of the sand underneath the lighthouse would be washed away, causing it to lean somewhat, so sometime later, sand would be taken from the opposite side which settled the structure back to it level position. Local authorities would close the light in June, 1861, and it would be repaired and brought back into service until November, 1866; and it would be painted black to protect it from rusting, although, many would believe at the time that it had been done to mourn the assassination of the president, Abraham Lincoln. Perry Younghans would be appointed next for the lightkeeper's position, but he would fall ill shortly after assuming his duties and his wife, Maria, would fill in for him, who sadly would pass away. Maria would be appointed the lightkeeper next in 1867, being painted white the next year, and almost fell during another storm the same year. The old lighthouse would be torn down and replaced in 1880, but when another storm arrived and washed the seawall away, the tower would become threatened during a hurricane in 1893. It would be electrified in 1927, and in 1969, it would be demolished by Hurricane Camille; and later replaced. The current tower is owned by the city, and is used as a private aid to navigation, until 2005, when Hurricane Katrina damaged it again. What makes this lighthouse so unique, besides its outstanding history, is the fact that it now sits in the medium of a highway, and has become one of the most photographed lighthouses in the Gulf coast.

February 03, 2011