Car Rentals

Local Attractions in BostonCar Rentals Boston

Discount Car Rentals in Boston

Avis Car Rentals Budget Car Rentals Dollar Car Rentals Thrifty Coupons Enterprise Discounts Alamo Car Rentals
Advantage Car Rental coupons
Advantage Rental Car Boston

Get your rental car coupons for an Advantage rental in Boston and you'll be happy you did.  Advantage Car Rental is your alternative to the big rental car companies and is a great choice to use if you are trying to save a little money without sacrificing quality or service.

Things to do in Boston

John F. Kennedy Presidential Museum & Library John F. Kennedy Presidential Museum & Library Boston, Massachusetts
The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, Massachusetts next to the Boston campus of the University of Massachusetts and the Massachusetts archives, and the presidential library and museum of the 35th President of the United States was designed by I. M. Pei. It is the official repository of the papers and correspondence of the Kennedy years, including those special materials that were published and unpublished, like the papers and books by and about the famous write Ernest Hemingway. It was dedicated in 1979 by then President Jimmy Carter and the Kennedy clan. The story behind this magnificent structure is an interesting one and should be read when you visit the place where one of our greatest presidents papers and important materials are housed. John went with John Carl Warnecke to Boston, a month before his assassination, to find an appropriate place to build his library and museum; wanting it to be close to a "scholarly resource", since his predecessors had built theirs away from any main stream institution. President Kennedy has been very specific about saving any scrap of paper, note or other material that passed through his administration, so that his library would also be called a museum because of the added and included materials that weren't ordinarily kept in presidential repositories. Jackie Kennedy would be the ultimate person to decide all the particulars of the library and museum, but the family had a committee formed to help her out with all the various details, questions arising and other decisions that she would have to make, besides taking care of the two small children and their future in mind. A few months after his death, his brother, Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy stated that a taped oral-history project had begun, to be included in the museum and would contain tapes by his administration, family, staff, friends and politicians from around the world and those living here. The death of Kennedy had created a vacuum in the country, in many unspoken words, he had been one of the most beloved presidents that ever held office and would remain in the hearts and minds of the people that heard about his unbelievable assassination for the rest of their lives. There would be books, television dramas and movies made about John, without anyone really knowing what had happened and why. The stories that swept across this country at that time were enough for many books, but no one ever really found out the truth, and today, more than half a century later, we know that no one ever will. The construction of this mammoth structure would meet many obstacles and take much longer to began than first considered. The architect chosen, Pei, was one of the 19 proposed, even though he was relatively unknown at the time. But in the end, it would be Jackie making the decision based upon her intuition and it seems to have been right on the mark, with the spectacular results. As the project began to take in the years, and the money needed to complete it grew as well, and then in 1968, the next Kennedy would be assassinated and the world, never mind this country, was shocked by the violence that had been directed at this public service minded family that had always given their best, right or wrong, to serve this great country that had been so good to them and their families. By 1971, the construction hadn't even started, but in Austin, Texas, Lyndon B. Johnson was watching his presidential library being dedicated. The chosen spot in 1965 was the best choice for it, but by the early 1970s, the people in Cambridge that would be living around the library and museum decided the hordes of people that would be coming to visit would cause too much traffic and other inconveniences for them and began objecting to it. The family decided that they didn't want any discord involved in the loving memorial, so they would have the location changed in 1975, a full decade after the original decision had been made. Finally, the new location would be at Columbia Point in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, close to the University of Massachusetts at Boston, and the site of an old garbage dump. Architect Pei would find old refrigerators and appliances buried in the earth and believed that if a match was lit, it would ignite the methane gas that was all around the area, seeping from the ground like ghostly reminders of what was discarded there. It did have one important advantage and that was that no one would mind the library and museum being constructed there since whatever was done had to be an improvement over the dump. In 1977, the historic groundbreaking took place, with an excellent view of Boston, Dorchester and the Atlantic Ocean, and the ground had to be covered with 15 feet of topsoil and earth, with the results making Pei very proud. The official dedication was on October 20, 1979, with entire Kennedy family there to pay their respects; with Caroline introducing her brother, John F. Kennedy Jr. that would read parts of Stephen Spender's poem, "I Think Continually of Those Who Were Truly Great". Many other well known people would speak soft words about this unique man that had been a part of our lives for a while and now you can learn more about John and his time on this earth at the museum in Boston.

Museum of Science
Museum of Science Boston, MassachusettsThe Museum of Science in Boston, Massachusetts has become one of its modern landmarks as it sits in Science Park along the Charles River, housing more than 500 interactive displays, with many live presentations being given during the day, as well as shows being showcased at the Mugar Omni IMAX theater, the only domed IMAX screen in New England and the Charles Hayden Planetarium. The museum is a member of the AZA, Association of Zoos and Aquariums, containing more than 100 animals, with the majority being saved and rehabilitated from dangerous places.  The museum originally was called the Boston Society of Natural History and began in 1830, with a collection started by men that had similar interests and wanted to share them. The truth of the matter was that these men had desired some place that would store their trophies and skins of their travels to Africa and Asia, with many of those taxidermied specimens still being shown today. These help many of the younger visitors of museum today with instruction and learning about the animals that lived in New England and around the world. By 1864, after having been stored in numerous temporary homes, the group bought a structure in the Back Bay area of Boston and decided to call it, the New England Museum of Natural History, where it would stay until after WWII. It would evolve from a type of men's club for safari trophies into a world class science museum, containing many marvelous specimens of animals from around the world and New England. Once the war has finished and the world was back into rebuilding the factories that had been used for the war machine, the building was sold and the museum would become the Boston Museum of Science and obtain a 99 year lease in Science Park. The construction phase began in 1948 and completed in 1951 when the museum opened as the first comprehensive science museum in the nation, and during those initial years, would develop a traveling planetarium; like the present one that is brought to the local schools around the city. During that period, the museum would receive a great horned owl and named him Spooky, that would become the mascot of the museum until he passed away at the age of 38, which was the longest known life of a great horned owl. The Charles Hayden Planetarium would open in 1958, with more expansions and additions being completed in the 1970s, 1980s and in 1999, the Computer Museum in Boston closed, donating all their materials to the Museum of Science, with many exhibits being integrated into its own, although the majority of the collection was moved to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. There are many marvelous exhibits located there and some of the world's most incredible discoveries as well. It is a fantastic museum to visit while in Boston and would take at least a day to enjoy thoroughly.

Budget rent a car Boston

 Budget Rent-A-Car has more locations around the nation that offer you the cheap rates that you are looking for to save money for your vacation.  The Budget cheap locations deals are happening right now and will SAVE you quite a lot of money.
 Budget Cheap Locations

Logan Intl. Apt. Budget Car Rental  - 6 Tomahawk Dr. 
Budget Car Rentals Cambridge - 20 Sidney St.
Allston Budget Rental Cars
- 95 Brighton Ave.
Budget Car Rentals Braintree - 595 Pond St. 

Museum of Fine ArtsMuseum of Fine Arts Boston, Massachusetts
The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts is considered to be one of the biggest museums of it kind in the nation, welcoming more than one million visitors each year, and houses more than 450,000 works of art, which makes it one of the most inclusive art collections in the nation. It began in 1870, although the present location was built in 1909 and besides the museum's collections, it is affiliated with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts; as well as having a sister museum in Nagoya, Japan called the Nagoya/Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Founded in 1870, the museum wouldn't open until 1876, with a major part of the collection coming from the Boston Athenaeum Art Gallery, with Francis Davis Millet being a significant creator in getting the art school started and attached to the museum. The museum would be house in a very ornamental brick gothic revival structure that had been designed by John Hubbard Sturgis and Charles Brigham, in the Copley Square area of Back Bay, quite well known for its large-scale use of terra cotta in the nation. The museum would be moved to its current location in 1909, along the Avenue of the Arts, although it had been started in 1907, with architect Guy Lowell doing the design that had a master plan that would allow the museum to be constructed in phases as money was acquired for each one. The first phase of the neoclassical design was finished in 1909, and highlighted a 500 foot facade made of cut granite on Huntington Avenue, along with the great rotunda and the adjacent galleries. Mrs. Robert Dawson Evans would fund the entire next phase, which opened in 1915, and contains the painting galleries. John Singer Sargent would create the artworks that line the rotunda and the adjacent colonnade. There would be further increases in the size and statue, as the collection grew and funds were donated, with a new decorative arts wing being added in 1968 and the Norman Jean Calderwood garden court and terrace being added in 1997. The wing also contains the gift shop, more exhibit space, the cafe and restaurant. The museum's libraries also contain a massive collection of 320,000 volumes, and the William Morris Hunt Memorial Library that was named in honor of the Boston painter and arts instructor and Vermont native with numerous works by him part of the permanent collection. One of the works includes Hunt's 1866 canvas Italian Peasant Boy. During the early years of 2000, the museum began a large rejuvenation project that included building a new wing for the art of the Americas, with major renovations of the European galleries, conservation facilities and visitor services with larger and redesigned education facilities. That expansion gave the museum another 133,500 square feet of added exhibition space. There are many magnificent works housed here and would take at least a couple of days to completely explore and enjoy, so make sure that you add them into your vacation or trip to Boston.

 USS Constitution Museum
USS Constitution Museum Boston, Massachusetts
The USS Constitution in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts is a wooden hulled three masted heavy frigate of the US Navy, that had been named by President George Washington after the Constitution of this nation and today is the world's oldest floating commissioned naval vessel. She was launched in 1797 and one of six original frigates that had been authorized by the Naval Act of 1794. Joshua Humphreys would design the large frigates to be the navy's main ships, which would make the Constitution and her sister ships bigger and more heavily armed than the usual frigates of that period. Constructed in Boston, at Edmund Hartt's shipyard, the ship's first duties of the newly formed navy was to protect American merchant ships during the Quasi War with France and crush the Barbary pirated in the First Barbary War. Neither of those events were ever mentioned in any history books so they would be worth reading about, since the Quasi War with France was held at sea, after that country had confiscated more than 300 of our ships and demanded payments be made to them, after the French Revolution had toppled the king that had helped us during the revolution. The First Barbary War lasted from 1801 to 1805 and involved the United States fighting the North African Muslim states that were known as the Barbary States and included; Tripoli, Algiers and Tunis, that actually belonged to the Ottoman Empire in Turkey; which has been receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from this country for over half a century because of its strategic proximity to the old Soviet Union across the Black Sea and today because of her closeness to the Middle East in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, the Constitution would become most famous for her magnificent actions during the War of 1812 when we had to fight the Brits again; and she would capture many merchant ships as well as beat down five British warships, the HMS Java, Levant, Pictou, Cyane and Guerriere in which battle she would earn her nickname of "Old Ironsides"; which would lead to making sure that she would never see the scrap pile. The story about her unusual nickname would occur when the British ship sent a broadside against the Constitution and for some reason the cannon ball just bounced off her. The ship's mission is currently to help with the understanding of the navy's important role in times of war and peace using educational outreach programs, historic demonstrations and numerous public events. She is still a fully commissioned US Navy ship with 60 sailors and officers of the United States Navy, and is berthed at Pier 1 of the old Charlestown Navy Yard at one end of the Boston's Freedom Trail.  There is so much more written about this wonderful ship that has lasted for more than two centuries and seen so much of our history, if only she could talk. She is worth visiting because of that history and the events that she took part in. When visiting Boston for any reason, be sure to visit her and learn more about the Constitution of the United States Navy.

Enterprise rent- a- car Boston

 Enterprise Rent a Car is really SAVING people money right now when you need it most.  The Enterprise savings are helping folks around America use more of their money for vacations and not car rentals.
Enterprise Savings

Enterprise Rental Car Boston - 996 COMMONWEALTH AVENUE
Boston Enterprise Rent-a-Car - 1 CONGRESS ST
Enterprise Car Rentals Boston - 10 HUNTINGTON AVE
Boston Enterprise Rent-A-Car - 800 BOYLSTON ST

Boston Enterprise Car Rental Coupons - 17 MELNEA CASS BLVD

Local Restaurants in Boston

No. 9 Park
Appetizers; oysters of the half; kingfish crudo with harissa, fresh garbonzo beans, preserved lemon; roasted golden beets with chevre, walnuts, petite greens; assiette of fall vegetables with warm chicory, burgundy truffle, bacon vinaigrette; veloute de Morue with dandelion greens, garlic, fennel; robiola ravioli with broccoli, mushroom brodo, ricotta; prune stuffed gnocchi with foie gras, toasted almonds, vin santo; terrine of foie gras with duck pastrami, honeycrisp apple, native veggies. Entrees; grilled swordfish with sauce Romesco, capers, fried bread; roasted rainbow trout with lardons, farm egg, potato; Atlantic monkfish with braised oxtail, matsutake, celeriac; Pekin duck is confit leg, breakfast radish, autumn berries; Vermont pheasant, game bird polpetti, gnocchi Parisienne, petite veggies; Colorado lamb saddle with eggplant, pine nuts, vadouvan; milk-fed porcelet with burgundian escargot, red cabbage, pumpkin seed; angus sirloin with potato mille-feuille, sauce Hollandaise, oysters.

606 Congress
Appetizers; jumbo shrimp cocktail with lemon wedge & cocktail sauce; fresh shucked oysters; stuffed Little Neck clams casino is shells stuffed with fresh clams, onions, bell pepper & chorizo; pan roasted mussels with white wine, garlic, leeks & crusty bread; wild lump crab cake with tartar sauce; Little Neck clams & chorizo with white wine, tomatoes & scallion butter. Soups & Salads; New England clam chowder with oyster crackers; baked onion soup with gruyere, parmesan & mozzarella cheese; lobster bisque with sherry, cream & lobster meat; market fresh salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots & red wine vinaigrette; Caesar salad with croutons & shaved asiago cheese; traditional wedge salad with tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese dressing & crisp bacon; mozzarella tomato salad with fresh mozzarella, basil, vine ripened tomatoes drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar & olive oil. Signature seafood; crab crusted cod with lump crab & served with asparagus & lemon butter sauce; bamboo steamed miso glazed salmon with jasmine rice & bok choy; seared Atlantic sea scallops with wilted greens, mashed potatoes, dried figs & prosciutto; stuffed jumbo shrimp is lump crab stuffing with lemon caper sauce; pan seared tuna is sesame crusted with fiery slay & chili oil drizzle; catch of the day with veggie of the day & roasted fingerling potatoes; steamed lobster with veggie of the day & choice of potato; baked stuffed lobster with veggie of the day & choice of potato. Grill signatures; filet mignon is chef's hand cut wood grilled filet served with roasted fingerling potatoes, seasonal veggies & topped with bleu cheese butter; sirloin steak is same as filet but with sirloin; wood grilled pork chop with sweet & spicy glaze, caramelized peaches & served with roasted fingerling potato & seasonal veggies; spiced rubbed chicken breast is pan roasted & served with sweet cherry glaze, roasted fingerling potato & seasonal veggies.

Grilled Swordfish No. 9 Park Boston, Massachusetts


 Crab Crusted Cod Boston Marriot Long Wharf Boston, Massachusetts


Wood Grilled Filet Mignon Boston Marriot Long Wharf Boston, Massachusetts



Hertz Car Rental Boston

Hertz has teamed up with to help folks get the BIGGEST discounts ever, right now on their web site.  The Hertz discounts program is the BEST thing since apple pie and baseball.  Now is the perfect time to use the discounts and SAVE money.  
Hertz Discounts

Boston Apt. Hertz Rental Cars- 2 International Place
Hertz Car Rental Boston - 30 Park Plaza
Boston Hertz Rental Cars - 39 Dalton St.
Logan Intl. Apt. Hertz Car Rentals - 207 Porter St.

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Boston, Massachusetts
The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is located in the Fenway-Kenmore neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, close to the Museum of Fine Arts and Back Bay Fens with a magnificent collection of more than 2500 works of American, Asian and European art, that includes tapestries, decorative arts, paintings and sculpture. It also hosts numerous historic and contemporary art exhibitions each year. Isabella commissioned architect Willard T. Sears in 1896 to design the new museum, which was started in 1903 by Isabella Stewart Gardner who was a rich patron of the arts. The museum structure was designed after the Venetian Palazzo Barbaro and contained many elements of European gothic and renaissance styles with numerous antique elements effortlessly worked in to the design of the turn-of-the-century structure. They had special tiles made for the floors, and modern concrete used for the columns, which had antique capitals on top. The interior courtyard had a glass roof, with steel supports throughout the structure. The museum contains a small but excellent collection of manuscripts, textiles, paintings, Japanese screens, rare books, ceramics, jewelry, sculpture, drawings, furniture and prints; but particularly rich in Italian renaissance paintings, and 19th century works by John Singer Sargent, who painted a portrait of her and James McNeill Whistler, both men becoming friends with the patron. The museum would acquire the first Matisse to be housed in an American institution and the entire place exudes such a intimate atmosphere that the experience is a wonderful occasion. The majority of the art isn't marked with labels and it sits in a dimly lit gallery that makes it seem like it is more a private residence than a museum, which is exactly what Isabella wanted. She started collecting more earnestly after she would get her father's estate in 1891, buying Vermeer's The Concert at an auction in Paris in 1892. Bernard Berenson, one of the country's most knowledgeable renaissance art historians, offered to help her acquire a Botticelli in 1894, and would eventually help her obtain almost 70 works of art. During her life, she would welcome many famous people, that included scholars, artists, and performers, as well as John Singer Sargent, Ruth St. Denis and Charles Martin Loeffler. In 1990, just after midnight of March 18th, thieves, disguised as police officers talked their way into the museum and after handcuffing the two security guards, walked out with 13 masterpieces that were valued at more than half a billion dollars; and included the Concert by Johannes Vermeer, three works by Rembrandt that included his only seascape, the Storm of the Sea of Galilee; as well as drawings by Edgar Degas and works by Edouard Manet and Govaert Flinck. There was a Chinese Ku or beaker taken and a finial from a Napoleonic flag and is still the biggest theft in the history of the world and is still unsolved. The empty frames are hanging in their exact spots since Isabella had stated that every work had to stay exactly where she put them, forever. There is still a $5 million reward for the information that leads to the arrest of the works, as long as they are still in good condition.

Mary Baker Eddy Library
Mary Baker Eddy Library & Mapparium Boston, MassachusettsThe Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity is located in Boston, Massachusetts and besides being the museum of the great lady that started the Christian Science religious order, it is a repository for her papers, since she was also a teacher, author and religious leader. It is housed in an eleven story building that had been constructed for the Christian Science Publishing Society which is a big part of the Christian Science Center complex. The library contains all the unpublished letters and manuscripts of Mary, as well as many marvelous exhibits that includes the famous Mapparium, a huge glass globe that shows visitors the world according to 1935, and is shown to the left. The building is one of the numerous places on the Christian Science Plaza that would be enlarged during the 1970s with a design by Araldo A. Cossutta, the architect-in-charge for I. M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects. The original structures include a 525 foot long collonade structure that highlights solid sunshade columns, a 28 story Church administration building, an 80 foot diameter fountain that sprays out a column of water 40 feet into the air, a 98 foot reflecting pool and the Sunday school. The main publishing society building is made of limestone and granite, designed by Chester Lindsay Churchill and had housed all the printing equipment and other publishing related materials. There are many marvelous engravings etched on the exterior that include the words Hope and Love facing Clearway Street, Purity and Mercy facing Massachusetts Avenue and Peace and Faith facing the mother church extension; plus many verses from the Bible.  The Mapparium is a magnificent three story stained glass globe that has become one of the main attractions at the library, with visitors walking through the globe along a thirty foot bridge, where they can stand in the middle of the world. As you stand there, you can see the entire globe without any distortions or other visual impairments. That perspective is one of surprise as an island called Cocos is seen at opposite ends of the world and the huge amount of water that covers it; as well as the incredible acoustic effects that are found inside it. Still standing in the exact middle, you can talk and hear yourself in perfect surround sound, as well as whispering from one side and being heard perfectly from the other side, thirty feet away. It was constructed in 1935 and has never had any panels replaced, but the site of Africa contains many patchwork colonies and the USSR is huge above. 

avis discount rental car Boston

Avis Rentals Cars is offering their customers the BIGGEST savings in the car rental business today.  These new savings will give you more money for your vacation and not have to use it on rental cars.
 Avis Savings

Avis Discounts

Boston Logan Intl. Apt. Avis Rental Cars  - 202 Porter St.
Avis Car Rentals Norwood.
- 125 Access Rd.
Bedford Avis Rental Cars - 200 Hanscom Dr.
Avis Car Rentals Boston - 3 Center Plaza

Gibson House MuseumGibson House Museum Boston, Massachusetts
The Gibson House Museum is located on Beacon Street in Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts, preserving three generations of the Gibson family and constructed in 1860. Catherine Hammond Gibson, a widow, would buy land in the newly filled area in 1859 for $3,696 desiring to move out of Beacon Hill, a ritzy area in Boston. She commissioned Edward Clarke Cabot to design her new house that was completed by 1860 in the Italian renaissance style with a splendid brownstone and red brick exterior. Her son, Charles Hammond Gibson would inherit it from his mother, who in turn would leave it to his son, Charles Hammond Gibson, who passed on in 1954. The house would become a museum in 1957, and in 2001 was made a National Historic Landmark because it is the only Victorian era row house in the neighborhood that kept its integral relationship between the exterior and interior plan that housed many marvelous decorative schemes, furnishings and artworks. It is a small museum and operates on a small budget of $100,000; and is therefore not well known. It is the type of vertical housing that would grow in the area because of the lack of space and grounds, with many going up six stories, like the Gibson and most often than not, only four levels. The first four floors of the Gibson house are used for preserving and showcasing antiques and artworks, with the top two floors being used for museum staff and storage space. The various levels of the house had been designed to accommodate different functions, with the ground floor and the fifth being used for the housing of the servant staff. The first and third floors were used for adult family members and visitors, with the third floor containing the parent's private rooms with connecting his and hers bedrooms, bath and dressing rooms. The fourth floor held the children's rooms with two bedrooms and a nursery.

Massachusetts Archives & Commonwealth Museum
Massachusetts Archives & Commonwealth Museum Boston, MassachusettsThe Massachusetts Archives houses the state archives of Massachusetts, that preserves and offers access to the records of the state, housed in a building on Morrissey Boulevard in the Dorchester neighborhood area of Boston. Besides keeping the official records made by the state's government, the archives contains treasures like their copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, Revolutionary and Civil War records, 1780 Massachusetts Constitution and the 1629 Charter of Massachusetts Bay. There are also many documents that were signed by George Washington, John Hancock and John Adams; with the treaties that were made with the Native Indians, records of slave trading and witchcraft trials. A large number of artifacts are housed here as well, as part of the Commonwealth Museum and contains relics like Paul Revere's engraving plate of the Boston Massacre and military relics from the Civil War to the period around WWI. The initial proposal to start the archives wasn't completed until 1835, to the Massachusetts Historical Society and resulted in an appropriate resolution being passed as to that effect. Rev. Joseph P. Felt would be chosen to begin the enormous task of arranging the archives of the state, which were in a horrid state and would need extensive organization. The huge amount of papers, documents and centuries of manuscripts was unimaginable, especially the haphazard way they had been handled and stored, without any sort of organizing or categorizing. Every sentence had to be examined with the utmost of care, and exacting scrutiny and would take ten years of hard laborious work on the part of Felt. At that time, he would be sent to England to see if there any duplicates or other papers that might have been lost for one reason or another; but finally, in 1846, the work was finished, according to Felt. The papers had been sorted into the proper departments, classified according to dates and subjects, titled and conspicuously numbered. The general index was finished and the shelves were filled with 241 big and thick volumes. Many scholars wouldn't approve of the way Felt did things, and in the 1880s, Justin Winsor complained.

Thrifty Car Rental Boston

Thrifty Car Rentals has more cheap locations in America than any other rental car company and with a name like Thrifty, we mean business and cheap prices to help you today.
Thrifty Cheap Locations

Thrifty Car Rental Boston Logan Intl. Apt.
 40 Lee Burbank Hwy.
Cambridge Thrifty Rental Cars -  110 Mt. Auburn St.

Thrifty Car Rentals Lawrence -  608 S. Union St.
Westford Thrifty Rental Car -  40 Lee Burbank Hwy.

New England AquariumNew England Aquarium Boston, Massachusetts
The New England Aquarium in Boston, Massachusetts has become one of the most popular and significant public aquariums in the nation, started in 1969 along the city's waterfront, is considered one of the first modern public aquariums and is the first to have revolutionized the modern aquarium experience , creating more natural environments. It is one of the few aquariums that is dedicated to research and conservation; plus education and entertainment. And besides the main structure, other attractions located here include the New England Aquarium Whale Watch that runs from April to November and the Simons IMAX theater. Over 1.5 million visitors are welcomed here each year, designed by noted Peter Chermayeff. The main feature of the aquarium is the huge ocean tank holding 200,000 gallons of water in a cylindrical tank that simulates a Caribbean coral reef and is home to barracuda, sharks, eels, stingrays, sea turtles and other small reef-living fish. It is open at the top, although the tank is surrounded by a walkway that spirals down and offers visitors 52 windows where they can watch the creatures swimming around. At the base, the tank is sitting in a big square 150,000 gallon penguin enclosure that houses African penguins, little blue penguins and northern and southern rockhopper penguins; where they can all be seen from the walkway. The little creatures are kept on a few artificial rock islands in the exhibit; and surrounding the atrium there are three levels of other displays. These include; the animal medical center, the thinking gallery, the northern waters of the world gallery, the freshwater gallery, the tropical gallery and the edge of the sea tide pool. The Thinking gallery is also referred to as the Temperate gallery that houses coastal environments, rare sea dragons, thousands of schooling fish, Goliath groupers and ancient fish. The Freshwater gallery contains Atlantic salmon, piranhas, electric eels and anacondas and is fashioned after the freshwater habitats of South America. The edge of the sea tide pool is the touching place that includes horseshoe crabs, sea stars, hermit crabs and sea urchins; while the Northern waters contains lobsters, giant Pacific octopus, shorebirds and other invertebrates. The tropical gallery contains living corals, lionfish, colorful tropical fish, scorpionfish and cuttlefish. The harbor seal exhibit is located in the front part of the aquarium and is free, with seven Northern fur seals frolicking in the open-air New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center that opened in 2009 with excellent views of the harbor area.

Bunker Hill Monument
Bunker Hill Monument Boston, MassachusettsThe Bunker Hill Monument is a 221 foot obelisk made of granite from nearby Quincy and brought to the Boston, Massachusetts site by the Granite Railway and a trip by barge, constructed between 1827 and 1843 in Charlestown, Massachusetts. The Granite Railway was built just to bring in the huge granite slabs, and there are 294 steps to the top of it. The monument isn't exactly on Bunker Hill, but on Breed's Hill, since the majority of the battle took place there but was misreported as being on Bunker Hill. The Monument Association that purchased the entire hill had to sell off all the surrounding land so that it would have money to finish the monument; which was the first of its kind in the nation. The battle would be fought here in June, 1775, and the initial monument had been installed in memory of Mason and fallen hero, Dr. Joseph Warren in 1794 by King Solomon's Lodge of Masons, standing 18 feet high and wooden with a gilt urn places atop it. There is a statue of Colonel William Prescott, from Groton, Massachusetts, and another hero of the battle, standing in front of the obelisk, who is said to have spoken those immortal words, "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"; but no one is really sure who spoke them first or even if they were spoken at that time. A lodge was constructed next to the monument in the late 19th century that exhibits a diorama of the battle and a statue of Warren; and the entire site is part of the Freedom Trail and the Boston National Historical Park. The museum is located across the street and contains numerous displays about the battle and other historical artifacts. A number of men were having breakfast at the home of Colonel Thomas Handasyd Perkins, when William Ticknor, a well known Boston lawyer and antiquarian spoke about creating a memorial for those men that had fought in the battle and some had given their lives. Some of the men meeting were Daniel Webster, George Blake, William Tudor, Professor George Ticknor, William Sullivan and Dr. John C. Warren, and on May 10,1823, the first meeting was held. Every member would give five dollars and June 7, 1823, the Bunker Hill Monument Association was born. Next would begin the phase of raising money to construct it, and famous 19th century philanthropist, Amos Lawrence gave $10,000. In the spring of 1825, the directors would be able to buy 15 acres on the slope of Breed's Hill, although a specific design hadn't been decided on yet. It was a historic event and is well worth reading further about. The Granite Railway would become the first commercial railroad in the country to be a common carrier, but the money would run out before it was finished, which necessitated the sell-off of certain parcels of land. The blocks of granite would average two cubic yards each and cost about $5.40 a cubic yard.

Dollar Rent-A-Car Boston

For the BIGGEST discounts in car rentals, choose Dollar.  Dollar will save you a bunch of money on your rental needs no matter when you travel. Use your discounts to get great deals on personal or business rentals. There is no way you should be paying more for your rental cars, trucks, or vans so use the new
Dollar Discounts

Boston Logan Intl. Apt. Dollar Rental Cars - Logan Intl. Apt.
Dollar Car Rentals Boston - 209 Cambridge St.

Boston Dollar Rental Cars - 110 Huntington Ave.

Old State HouseOld State House Boston, Massachusetts
The old State House in Boston, Massachusetts was constructed in 1713, and is the oldest surviving structure in the city today, seating the first elected legislature in the New World. It is run by the Bostonian Society today and is one of the numerous historic landmarks that exist on the Freedom Trail. The state house was built during 1712 and 1713, designed by Robert Twelves most believe, after the original structure had been destroyed by a fire in 1711. That wooden Town House had been constructed in 1657, with two notable features that were made of wood and stood some 7 feet tall; a unicorn and lion, that had been the symbols of British monarchy. The structure had housed a Merchant's Exchange on the first floor and warehouse in the basement with the Council of the Royal governor on the east side of the second floor and the chambers for the Courts of Suffolk County on the other end. The center would house the chambers for the Massachusetts Assembly and noteworthy since it contained public galleries, which was a first for elected officials in any English speaking world. James Otis would argue against the Writs of Assistance in 1761, in the Royal Council Chamber, since the writs allowed the courts to tell a sheriff or other law enforcement official to conduct some type of task, like forcing people off their land and taking it over for the crown. Otis lost the case, but was able to influence the feelings of the people in such a way that would add fuel to the already growing American Revolution. Later on, John Adams would write that the speech had helped the child of independence be born. Then on March 5, 1770, the Boston Massacre happened in the front of the structure, with Lt. Governor Thomas Hutchinson ordering the crowd to go home, as he stood on the balcony. The Boston Massacre, also called the Boston riot occurred between British troops and Boston's townspeople, with three of the townsman being killed and 11 injured, although two more would die shortly afterwards. On July 18, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was announced from the east side balcony to ecstatic crowds by Colonel Thomas Crafts, who was one of the Sons of Liberty, and at one o'clock, he read it to the members of the council. Then, fellow patriot Sheriff William Greenleaf tried reading it from the balcony, but could only get out a whisper and Col. Crafts came to stand by the sheriff and read the declaration in a loud clear voice. The majority of the city, almost two thirds approved of and supported the revolution, making it a wild time and happy time for them all. The unicorn and lion were taken off the top of the structure and burned in a huge bonfire that was started on King Street. Once the revolution had ended, the building would become the seat of the state government, before it moved to its current home in 1798.

King's Chapel
King's Chapel Boston, MassachusettsKing's Chapel is now an independent Christian Unitarian congregation that is associated with the Unitarian Universalist Association, and is located in what had been the Stone Chapel, an 18th church that was constructed at the corner of Tremont Street and School Street in Boston, Massachusetts. The chapel was started in 1686 by the Royal Governor Sir Edmund Andros as the first Anglican Church in New England when King James II was monarch. The original wooden church had been constructed in 1688, at the same spot the stone church sits today, sitting on public burying ground since no person in the city at that time would sell land for a non-Puritan church. The construction of the stone church started in 1749, and was designed by Peter Harrison and then completed in 1754; having been constructed around the old wooden church that still stood there, but was taken apart once the stone church had been completed. It was taken out through the windows of the new church and then shipped to Lunenburg, Nova Scotia where they used it to build the St. John's Anglican church; which unfortunately was burned down on Halloween, 2001, but has been rebuilt. In the revolution, the stone church would be empty, since many of the loyalist families had fled to Canada, but those that stayed would reopen it in 1782. The church would become Unitarian under the ministry of James Freeman, who had revised the Book of Common Prayer to reflect Unitarian guidelines in 1785. Freeman thought the church as Episcopalian, but the Anglican Church would deny to ordain him, and even today, the church follows a hybrid liturgy of Anglican/Unitarian services. The interior is marked by wooden columns and Corinthian capitals that had been hand carved by William Burbeck and his apprentices in 1758. The seating is box pews, that the majority had been owned by the members' families that would pay for pew rental and decorated them according to their own personal tastes. Those were taken out in the 1920s and replaced with uniform pews. The church bell was cast in England in 1772, but cracked in 1814 and recast by Paul Revere, then rehung. It is the biggest bell cast by the Revere foundry and the final one cast by Paul himself; but still ringing ever since.

Alamo Car Rentals Boston

Alamo Rental Cars is having a fantastic sale going on right now with their new printable coupons.  You can go to the Alamo web site and download their coupons right to yours and print them out to use the next time you take a trip or vacation. 

Alamo Printable Coupons
Alamo discounts 

Boston Intl. Apt. Alamo Rental Cars -  270 ATLANTIC AVE

National Rental Cars Boston

 National Car Rentals is helping their customers right now with their new printable coupons that can SAVE them more money than ever.  National is trying to help folks in these hard economic times with the new printable coupons program so check them out.
 National Printable Coupons

Boston Intl. Apt. National Car Rental - 6 Tomahawk Dr.
National Rental Cars Boston Downtown - 270 Atlantic Ave.

May 09, 2011